The Student Room Group

No SWs for internships

I’ve had some trouble and didn’t end up applying for SWs as I know they’re all pretty much filled now

What can I do from now till September to help with applying for the 2nd year internships
First thing to ask if whether you are doing/considering industrial placement?

If you are, then you don't have to worry too much about spring week this year, as you can get another opportunity next year for them (as is first year of 3 year course, second year of four year..)

So that is certainly an avenue for you.

I have to ask- what university are you doing, which course, what a-level grades and how is your GPA as of now?

If you're going to a target, have solid academics (present and past) - then you could be okay with not doing a spring week.

They are certainly helpful in gaining summer internships, but even if you got a place on one, the you'd be less than likely to get a guaranteed summer placement within the same firm. (Most offer about 1/4 of spring week 'interns' a place based on their performance throughout).

So all is not lost.
Don't worry too much about not getting a spring week. I was at a target and didn't get any though made it to BB IB the following summer.

DOs: try to do something interesting over the summer (internship, work, charity, sports, travel, pick up a language etc), make sure your CV is on point (feel free to shoot me a PM), same for you CL (cba to review that though), prepare for tests - this is where many applicants are stupidly rejected, smash your exams (get a first), do apply to small places that may recruit first years - could be a local accounting where you even just shadow them, helping a startup do their fundraise.

DONTs: try to network and seem desperate for big banks/EBs but keep going to networking events, do nothing and just sit complaining about not making it on TSR.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending