Holocaust Memorial Day Watch

the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Today we mark the 75th Anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz.

http://auschwitz.org/en/

http://yadvashem.org
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I just listened to a deeply moving account on Radio 4 news from a woman who as a young person survived Auschwitz because when she arrived, she could play the cello and they needed a cello player for the 'orchestra' that played marching tunes as the slave workers were sent out to work in the factories and on their return (for those who had survived the day). She was eventually marched to Belsen where she nearly died but was rescued by the Allies.

It's these personal stories that help in seeing what went on there and in realising the humanity of the people who suffered at the hands of the Nazi killing machinery.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It is a good thing that this day exists to remind us of the human depravity of the past, not that any of it should have ocurred in the first place. On this day we also recognise other genocides across the globe including Bosnia, Rwanda, Cambodia and Darfur. :rip:
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If anyone lives near laxton in Nottinghamshire, please visit the Holocaust museum. It will make you think.
Karisa96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have actually visited Auschwitz, and I found it to be a very moving experience.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My grandad was at Belsen as part of the liberating force. He'd never talk about, and I can't blame him. Always on the fence about whether or not I'd like to go to these places
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Karisa so did my son. He has never been the same since. In fact he has made a post about Holocaust day on Facebook and it is the most moving post he has ever made
Karisa96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Karisa so did my son. He has never been the same since. In fact he has made a post about Holocaust day on Facebook and it is the most moving post he has ever
You cant help but be touched by it.
Lots of the displays are all behind glass screens, but theres things like shoes, suitcases, it a real surreal feeling, cant really take it all in whilst your there.
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report 4 weeks ago
We should never forget the atrocities that the German and Japanese people visited upon the Jewish and Chinese peoples.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
We should never forget the atrocities that the German and Japanese people visited upon the Jewish and Chinese peoples.
Since when have the Japanese and Chinese got anything to do with the holocaust?
ForeverAnonymous
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Lmao ikr
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
They were similar atrocities carried out by the same alliance in the same war for similar reasons.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm not sure comparing war crimes is the best use of discussions here.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
you may not have come across this website:

https://www.mp.pl/auschwitz/journal/english

it gives a medical perspective on the atrocities at this hell on earth.
z-hog
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Karisa96)
I have actually visited Auschwitz, and I found it to be a very moving experience.
It's a unique place to visit and one where it seems that nothing can be said that feels adequate, that was a unique experience.
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Karisa96)
I'd been too, it's hard to believe people are capable of such things until you see it there all laid out in front of you. Very interesting but also equally as haunting.
lockcraig
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
I'd been too, it's hard to believe people are capable of such things until you see it there all laid out in front of you. Very interesting but also equally as haunting.
It's hard to believe that people are capable with supporting the torture of billions of animals every year. However I have to live with that each day.
Occitanie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by gjd800)
My grandad was at Belsen as part of the liberating force. He'd never talk about, and I can't blame him. Always on the fence about whether or not I'd like to go to these places
I can’t imagine what you grandad faced. We have seen it on TV, at school, and reading through books, but to have physically been there as a soldier or, indeed, a prisoner is unfathomable.

Is the reason why you’re on a fence apprehension?
CTLeafez
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
If anyone lives near laxton in Nottinghamshire, please visit the Holocaust museum. It will make you think.
I’ve lived in Nottingham for 23 years and never heard of it. I’ll keep an eye out.
Occitanie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Often when I think of how reprehensible the Nazis truly were, and how millions upon millions of innocent people perished, I think about my life, and how privileged I am for being tucked up in a warm double-sized bed with heating in the winter.

To think that thousands and thousands of children as young as 2 or 3 torn away from their families were either dead or killed on arrival, or lived and slept in sheds, shoulder to shoulder, tormented by imminent death the following day. All this because of who they were, where they were born, and how different they were?

Long may we go on remembering.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (182)
61.9%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
4.08%
No- I want it (78)
26.53%
No- I don't want it (22)
7.48%

Watched Threads