Accused of an academic offence when I haven’t committed one Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I received my results for an assignment today and when I went to view this on turnitin it stated that it had been flagged as a possible academic offence and that I need to see my course leader regarding this. I am due to see my course leader tomorrow however, I disagree with the accusation completely. I can hand on heart say that none of my work was plagiarised, when I originally submitted my work to turnitin it gave me a 57% similarity report however, it highlighted things such as my references, front sheet, title, and all the references which I had correctly cited throughout. I made sure that my references I used for my work were cited correctly and I know I haven’t copied any work at all. I’m not too worried at all about the meeting as I know I haven’t plagiarised. But I was wondering if anyone else has been wrongly accused of an academic offence and what happened? Obviously I know every university has different procedures regarding this so the outcome may be different but just looking for some advice on how to fight my corner! It just hurts when you know you haven’t done anything wrong but you’ve been accused.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Oh dear, take them some chocolates as a bribe
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I received my results for an assignment today and when I went to view this on turnitin it stated that it had been flagged as a possible academic offence and that I need to see my course leader regarding this. I am due to see my course leader tomorrow however, I disagree with the accusation completely. I can hand on heart say that none of my work was plagiarised, when I originally submitted my work to turnitin it gave me a 57% similarity report however, it highlighted things such as my references, front sheet, title, and all the references which I had correctly cited throughout. I made sure that my references I used for my work were cited correctly and I know I haven’t copied any work at all. I’m not too worried at all about the meeting as I know I haven’t plagiarised. But I was wondering if anyone else has been wrongly accused of an academic offence and what happened? Obviously I know every university has different procedures regarding this so the outcome may be different but just looking for some advice on how to fight my corner! It just hurts when you know you haven’t done anything wrong but you’ve been accused.
If you know that everything has been cited and referenced correctly, then you should have nothing to worry about.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
57% is worryingly high.

How did you get on?
boods8897
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
57% is high! My friend's dissertation was about 39% because it was anatomy based and there's only so many ways to describe the bifurcation of an artery... They just check to make sure it's not big chunks of text or complete sentences that are highlighted; if you know you have nothing to worry about then this will just be a box ticking meeting.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
It was fine! I made mistakes with not paraphrasing correctly (I’m in first year so I’m still getting the hang of it all) I have to redo the essay but they didn’t mark it as an academic offence because the knew it was a genuine mistake on my part which is good! It’s a lesson learnt, they said I obviously used the right citations and could see that I referenced my work correctly and hadn’t tried to use it as my own etc. They said my writing is of high standard and I knew where my evidence needed to go to explain my point, but I just need to reword the evidence more in my own words because that’s why my similarity was so high.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (440)
67.28%
No (214)
32.72%

Watched Threads