The Student Room Group

GCSE MATHS RESIT NOVEMBER REMARK - should i go for a remark

So yesterday i received my exam papers that i had done for the november exam, i was looking through the maths exam, so i could identify my weaknesses until i saw a question. That question was worth 3 marks and i had only gotten 2 marks when i should have got 3 full marks. So i got everyones opinions on that question and they said that i should have got full marks, so today i told my teacher and she also agreed that i should have gotten full marks. then she goes she would need to put in for a remark, but what i wanna know would it be worth it? All i need is 4 more marks :/ pls give me your opinion in the situation, it would mean alot!
(edited 4 years ago)
So yesterday i received my exam papers that i had done for the november maths exam, i was looking through the exam, so i could identify my weaknesses until i saw a question. That question was worth 3 marks and i had only gotten 2 marks when i should have got 3 full marks. So i got everyones opinions on that question and they said that i should have got full marks, so today i told my teacher and she also agreed that i should have gotten full marks. then she goes she would need to put in for a remark, but what i wanna know would it be worth it? All i need is 4 more marks :/ pls give me your opinion in the situation, it would mean alot!
Reply 2
Obviously do remark it but what’s the point if it would only give you one more mark when you need 4
I would because the worst thing that could happen is that you don’t get enough marks to pass but the best thing is you could pass so it’s worth a try :smile:
I remarked when I was 3 marks away in a different subject,nothing changed so idk
Reply 5
Not worth it. Reviews of marking are expensive and it will be wasted money if it's not going to go up 4 marks.
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
Not worth it. Reviews of marking are expensive and it will be wasted money if it's not going to go up 4 marks.

Wow does remarking really cost money? How much
Reply 7
Original post by RM611
Wow does remarking really cost money? How much

It varies between exam boards but it's around £40 per paper. The money is refunded if the overall grade changes.
Reply 8
Original post by Compost
It varies between exam boards but it's around £40 per paper. The money is refunded if the overall grade changes.

I thought the school pays it lol
Reply 9
Original post by RM611
I thought the school pays it lol

It varies from school to school, how important a better result is to their stats and how skint they are. However, schools will only ever pay if they think there is a decent chance the grade will change. That isn't the case in this instance.
Original post by RM611
Obviously do remark it but what’s the point if it would only give you one more mark when you need 4

but there's a chance that if the examiner missed out one mark they could have missed more
Original post by Unknownprincess
So yesterday i received my exam papers that i had done for the november maths exam, i was looking through the exam, so i could identify my weaknesses until i saw a question. That question was worth 3 marks and i had only gotten 2 marks when i should have got 3 full marks. So i got everyones opinions on that question and they said that i should have got full marks, so today i told my teacher and she also agreed that i should have gotten full marks. then she goes she would need to put in for a remark, but what i wanna know would it be worth it? All i need is 4 more marks :/ pls give me your opinion in the situation, it would mean alot!

edit: i feel like if the examiner missed out one mark, then he or she could have missed out more.
but there's a chance that if the examiner missed out one mark they could have missed more

Presumably a teacher has looked at all the scripts and only seen one missing mark so that's not really plausible. Also, when people are desperately looking through a script for an extra mark more then often ignore somewhere else where they have been given a mark they shouldn't. Often the 2 balance out on a review leaving you no better off.
Reply 13

But you have the paper don’t you? Then go through it yourself and check if there’s any more possible marks you could gain and if there is so, go for a remark, otherwise I think it would be a waste of time and money
I got my result and I was 6 marks off but I believe my marks for the first two papers were more than what I got so I’ve requested to see the papers. I did it with Aqa and I saw on the news that they were found for not marking properly leading them into being fined. Should I send it for remark if I find the marks.
So yesterday i received my exam papers that i had done for the november exam, i was looking through the maths exam, so i could identify my weaknesses until i saw a question. That question was worth 3 marks and i had only gotten 2 marks when i should have got 3 full marks. So i got everyones opinions on that question and they said that i should have got full marks, so today i told my teacher and she also agreed that i should have gotten full marks. then she goes she would need to put in for a remark, but what i wanna know would it be worth it? All i need is 4 more marks :/ pls give me your opinion in the situation, it would mean alot!

If the school are suggesting a remark they are presumably paying for the remark? Plus the cost gets reinbursed if the exam board has made mistakes with the marking. I would take your teachers advice and get a remark
Hi!

I resat my English last November in attempt to get a better grade ( I already have a 5 from year 11). My result came back as a 4 (lol) and me and my teachers thought that this was an oddball since I've been getting MINIMUM 6s in my responses. We just sent it off for a remark and I'm wondering (on average) how long does this take?
Original post by Sabrina789
I got my result and I was 6 marks off but I believe my marks for the first two papers were more than what I got so I’ve requested to see the papers. I did it with Aqa and I saw on the news that they were found for not marking properly leading them into being fined. Should I send it for remark if I find the marks.

With AQA GCSE November exams you can't get a script back to see if it's worth a review of marking., You have to try it blind or not at all.
Original post by harrysbar
Plus the cost gets reinbursed if the exam board has made mistakes with the marking.

Only if the overall grade changes. There is nothing in this thread to suggest this is likely so I doubt the school would support a review of marking despite what the OP says the teacher says.
Original post by LUPINRED
I resat my English last November in attempt to get a better grade ( I already have a 5 from year 11). My result came back as a 4 (lol) and me and my teachers thought that this was an oddball since I've been getting MINIMUM 6s in my responses. We just sent it off for a remark and I'm wondering (on average) how long does this take?

You can send one or both papers back - your choice but each is charged for separately.
The exam board aims to complete them in 20 days or less.

Quick Reply

Latest