The benefits of leg days at the gym? Watch

SilenceOfTheLamb
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I'm a runner and I do have a bit of leg muscle but what are the benefits of lifting at the gym with my legs, going on the machines etc? If I do running most days of the week, some days 3 miles, other days 5, and some days 10 miles would I be wasting my time at the gym doing leg workouts or is it needed?

would lifting with my legs make it easier for me to be able to run faster?
petben
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SilenceOfTheLamb)
So I'm a runner and I do have a bit of leg muscle but what are the benefits of lifting at the gym with my legs, going on the machines etc? If I do running most days of the week, some days 3 miles, other days 5, and some days 10 miles would I be wasting my time at the gym doing leg workouts or is it needed?

would lifting with my legs make it easier for me to be able to run faster?
Yes, it definitely would, although you don't need to be doing anything extreme. Core strength is also very important btw. The stronger you are, the less energy you will expend when you run (to an extent, if you are "huge" then that obviously wouldn't be the case). Aim to do weight work in the offseason/early season (if you run competitively) as it can seriously negatively affect your ability to run quickly with the lactic acid built up. There's no magical, perfect weights program or certain weight and rep number that you have to aim for. Do a mix of high weight low rep and the opposite, it's all about volume and quality. For medium distance, you're not really aiming to go faster, rather than being able to maintain higher speeds that you can already do for shorter distances, and yes in that sense you will be able to run faster. When you are in-season, any weight work should be less frequent with the aim of maintaining the muscle you built up and focus on aerobic training.

PS, this is assuming you race medium distance.
Last edited by petben; 4 weeks ago
illusionz
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If your legs get stronger you will be able to run faster and jump higher. That's a good thing for all sports.

Train your legs.
SilenceOfTheLamb
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
[img=0x0]https://billyjons.net/metric/?mid=&wid=52599&sid=&tid=8667&ri d=OPTOUT_RESPONSE_OK&t=158020208 9611[/img]

(Original post by petben)
Yes, it definitely would, although you don't need to be doing anything extreme. Core strength is also very important btw. The stronger you are, the less energy you will expend when you run (to an extent, if you are "huge" then that obviously wouldn't be the case). Aim to do weight work in the offseason/early season (if you run competitively) as it can seriously negatively affect your ability to run quickly with the lactic acid built up. There's no magical, perfect weights program or certain weight and rep number that you have to aim for. Do a mix of high weight low rep and the opposite, it's all about volume and quality. For medium distance, you're not really aiming to go faster, rather than being able to maintain higher speeds that you can already do for shorter distances, and yes in that sense you will be able to run faster. When you are in-season, any weight work should be less frequent with the aim of maintaining the muscle you built up and focus on aerobic training.

PS, this is assuming you race medium distance.
I've not raced before, have my first race in May, it's 10 miles, my fitness is there it just feels it looks so effortless for some people to run faster but that must be due to them being stronger. So training my upper body would benefit me too?
petben
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SilenceOfTheLamb)
[img=0x0]https://billyjons.net/metric/?mid=&wid=52599&sid=&tid=8667&ri d=OPTOUT_RESPONSE_OK&t=158020208 9611[/img]

I've not raced before, have my first race in May, it's 10 miles, my fitness is there it just feels it looks so effortless for some people to run faster but that must be due to them being stronger. So training my upper body would benefit me too?
Yes, muscle balance all over the body will prevent injuries as well as help run faster. And don't worry about looking effortless, it often means nothing. Some people just have that effortless look when they run, but take Emil Zátopek, for example. He won gold in the 5000m & 10,000m in the Olympics and had that famous painful facial expression and unusual form. (Yet the likes of Kichoge and Bekele seem effortless when they run, even though they're defying what was thought to be humanly impossible.) Although, making sure your form is correct is important in running efficiently. There's a few videos on youtube that will advise you on your form. Good luck with the race!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (497)
59.81%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.17%
No- I want it (235)
28.28%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.74%

Watched Threads