parvathi.menon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
hey any advice on how to answer English language paper 2 questions 2 and 4? thanks!
RoxyThorn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
q2 state and briefly explain. q4 two detailed para in depths analysis
SnowyOwl102
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi! I’m referencing the questions in this paper > https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-...2-QP-JUN18.PDF It was the paper I did so there’s that. (You can find the mark scheme on the aqa website, from the June 2018 paper.

For Question 2: it is a comparison between two sources, usually it will tell you what it wants you to focus on specifically. So in this paper it’s a comparison between the surfboard in source A and in source B and you need to “demonstrate your understanding” of both texts, which means you need to use quotations to support your answer. So i’d use ‘hollow paddle boards’ and ‘hand carved boards’ and then compare what this shows, so the Hawaiian surfers ‘cared for’ their boards in that they maintain them with oils and community surrounding them partake in ritualistic behaviour. Whereas the Californian surfers will take ‘redwood slabs’ and ‘old paddle boards’ show that they don’t take as much care in the boards but rather surf for the sport. If you’re still unsure look at the mark scheme for this paper and possibly the examiner report.

For question 4: this is a 16 marker which means it’s essay time! The question a,ways tells you what it wants. In this paper it bullet points what it wants you to find (perspectives on surfing and how the writer shows these) and that you need to use quotes to support what you found. So in the Hawaiian Text, you might look at the “god-like” image the writer has created and how the surfers are “majestic”. You might want to refer to your previous (Q2)answer, so you can focus on the question, the perspective of surfing. So in text B, the perspective is from an outside view, showing the secluded yet masterful community that has been built around the sport. However, in Text A, it’s an insider’s perspective, which is all noted in the source pretext.

I hope this was mildly helpful. The June 2018 paper was the one I did and I got a 9 so hopefully this advice will help. Just remember to support your claims with quotes and link back to the question.
parvathi.menon
Rep:
?
(Original post by SnowyOwl102)
Hi! I’m referencing the questions in this paper > https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-...2-QP-JUN18.PDF It was the paper I did so there’s that. (You can find the mark scheme on the aqa website, from the June 2018 paper.

For Question 2: it is a comparison between two sources, usually it will tell you what it wants you to focus on specifically. So in this paper it’s a comparison between the surfboard in source A and in source B and you need to “demonstrate your understanding” of both texts, which means you need to use quotations to support your answer. So i’d use ‘hollow paddle boards’ and ‘hand carved boards’ and then compare what this shows, so the Hawaiian surfers ‘cared for’ their boards in that they maintain them with oils and community surrounding them partake in ritualistic behaviour. Whereas the Californian surfers will take ‘redwood slabs’ and ‘old paddle boards’ show that they don’t take as much care in the boards but rather surf for the sport. If you’re still unsure look at the mark scheme for this paper and possibly the examiner report.

For question 4: this is a 16 marker which means it’s essay time! The question a,ways tells you what it wants. In this paper it bullet points what it wants you to find (perspectives on surfing and how the writer shows these) and that you need to use quotes to support what you found. So in the Hawaiian Text, you might look at the “god-like” image the writer has created and how the surfers are “majestic”. You might want to refer to your previous (Q2)answer, so you can focus on the question, the perspective of surfing. So in text B, the perspective is from an outside view, showing the secluded yet masterful community that has been built around the sport. However, in Text A, it’s an insider’s perspective, which is all noted in the source pretext.

I hope this was mildly helpful. The June 2018 paper was the one I did and I got a 9 so hopefully this advice will help. Just remember to support your claims with quotes and link back to the question.
that really helped, thanks a ton!!
parvathi.menon
Rep:
?
(Original post by RoxyThorn)
q2 state and briefly explain. q4 two detailed para in depths analysis
thanks!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (5)
29.41%
I'm not sure (0)
0%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (5)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (1)
5.88%
I'm not a current university student (6)
35.29%

Watched Threads