The Student Room Group

UK medical training and Brexit

Do you think Brexit is going to affect the postgraduate training structure and pathway (or duration of training) in medicine and surgery (since currently it follows a big EU rule: the working time directive)?
Reply 1
This means that EU's imposition of the working time limit is more or less liked in the UK. One of my friends told me that brexit will result in the system returning to the old style, which is more working hours and less training duration. Do doctors in general like the current "no-more-than-48-hours" system in the UK or do they consider it to be a barrier for training?
48 hours will continue to be the maximum limit for average working hours in UK postgraduate medical training post Brexit. This is built into the national terms and conditions for junior doctor employment.
Reply 3
Original post by jay71483
This means that EU's imposition of the working time limit is more or less liked in the UK. One of my friends told me that brexit will result in the system returning to the old style, which is more working hours and less training duration. Do doctors in general like the current "no-more-than-48-hours" system in the UK or do they consider it to be a barrier for training?

The "old style" was more working hours and a longer duration, not shorter
Reply 4
Thank you everyone for commenting on that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending