The Student Room Group

joining the army during GCSEs

if I join at 16 I will have to do my GCSEs in the army, and my a levels, then when I'm 18 I want to swap over to the doctor part to finish doing my a levels then do a medical degree. is this possible? anyone know? I don't wanna get deployed as a soldier as much as I feel bad saying it, not my cup of tea. and also do army doctors go to a special medical school or just any one they want to go to? or is there a job I can do at 16 instead of being a soldier, like mabye something medical related but that I won't be stuck to, as I really wanna be a doctor.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by csmlady
if I join at 16 I will have to do my GCSEs in the army, and my a levels, then when I'm 18 I want to swap over to the doctor part to finish doing my a levels then do a medical degree. is this possible? anyone know? I don't wanna get deployed as a soldier as much as I feel bad saying it, not my cup of tea. and also do army doctors go to a special medical school or just any one they want to go to? or is there a job I can do at 16 instead of being a soldier, like mabye something medical related but that I won't be stuck to, as I really wanna be a doctor.

Have you thought of college/btech as an alternative? (I’m Scottish, not sure how the system is in England though) I have a lot of friends who left school at 16 and went straight to college to do like access courses and HNCs etc, many of these don’t have any formal entry requirements and if they do they will be a lot lower than university :smile: I’m happy to talk if you’re needing advice
Reply 2
Original post by Erin09122000
Have you thought of college/btech as an alternative? (I’m Scottish, not sure how the system is in England though) I have a lot of friends who left school at 16 and went straight to college to do like access courses and HNCs etc, many of these don’t have any formal entry requirements and if they do they will be a lot lower than university :smile: I’m happy to talk if you’re needing advice

I'm Welsh! and I'm aware but to be a doctor I need actual a levels and a degree. any advice about that? the degree can be done in the army just not sure about GCSEs and a levels.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by csmlady
I'm Welsh! and I'm aware but to be a doctor I need actual a levels and a degree. any advice about that? the degree can be done in the army just not sure about GCSEs and a levels.

Why not go to university instead of the army?
Reply 4
Why not go to university instead of the army?

...because I want to join the army? being a doctor takes ages to get a degree so I won't be able to serve for long. easier to do it through the army.
Original post by csmlady
...because I want to join the army? being a doctor takes ages to get a degree so I won't be able to serve for long. easier to do it through the army.

Fair enough :smile: is there a recruitment centre near you? They’d be able to best answer your questions, I’d suggest joining after you’ve finished GCSE and A levels so you can focus solely on your studies then solely on the army, but the recruitment centre will know about doing both at once
Reply 6
Fair enough :smile: is there a recruitment centre near you? They’d be able to best answer your questions, I’d suggest joining after you’ve finished GCSE and A levels so you can focus solely on your studies then solely on the army, but the recruitment centre will know about doing both at once

I see, makes sense. I will try to do that, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending