The Student Room Group

My degree is making me depressed

I do global health at university and it's making me really depressed. When I say depressed I don't mean it's hard or anything, I mean I'm having panic attacks on the train when going to uni. Do you know how humiliating that is? Every night I'm crying myself to sleep because this degree is driving me mad. My parents want me to stay in the uni because of its status. I've been given an unconditional offer from another university, but my parents are refusing to let me drop out. So I'm stuck for another three months. What do I do? (btw the whole running away from home thing won't go well incase somebody mentions that)
Original post by Anonymous
I do global health at university and it's making me really depressed. When I say depressed I don't mean it's hard or anything, I mean I'm having panic attacks on the train when going to uni. Do you know how humiliating that is? Every night I'm crying myself to sleep because this degree is driving me mad. My parents want me to stay in the uni because of its status. I've been given an unconditional offer from another university, but my parents are refusing to let me drop out. So I'm stuck for another three months. What do I do? (btw the whole running away from home thing won't go well incase somebody mentions that)

Which uni?
What year?
How are your marks?
What is it you want to do?

Option:
1 Get help from GP, uni support and try to make it a better life.
2. See GP and uni, then suspend studies.
3. Finish year and get a transfer.
4. Leave and restart somewhere else in Sept if this is year 1.

Also contact usual helplines v depression- will post later.
Reply 2
Why do you choose this degree before? What do you like to major in?
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Which uni?
What year?
How are your marks?
What is it you want to do?

Option:
1 Get help from GP, uni support and try to make it a better life.
2. See GP and uni, then suspend studies.
3. Finish year and get a transfer.
4. Leave and restart somewhere else in Sept if this is year 1.

Also contact usual helplines v depression- will post later.

Hi there,
so sorry for the late reply. I'm studying Global Health at Queen Mary. I am in my first year as an undergrad and I haven't been given my results back. And I was told to study GH to pursue medicine after the three years, but that's not what I wanted. Thankfully I've been given an unconditional offer from Goldsmiths to study English. However, my family want me to carry on studying at the university and don't see withdrawing from the course until I get to the end of the academic year.
Reply 4
Original post by shebk
Why do you choose this degree before? What do you like to major in?

To be honest, I only chose this degree because it was a pathway into medicine and that's kind of what my parents wanted. I wanted to make them happy and make them proud, but this course is literally driving me insane. I spent months forcing myself to like the course for the sake of my parents. Little did I know it would just make things worse. I want to major in English. I've always wanted to do English. But my family didn't approve. In case your wondering as to why I'm constantly listening to my family, I'm the youngest. I've only ever been told what to do my whole life and if I try to do something for myself, my family go berserk.
Reply 5
Let this be a lesson to you, don't let other people control you, especially on important things like degree choice. You can't live your life just to make other people happy, it will only make you miserable.

Anyway, go to your university's student support department and speak to them about any support available to you, maybe ask for therapy from your GP as well if possible.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there,
so sorry for the late reply. I'm studying Global Health at Queen Mary. I am in my first year as an undergrad and I haven't been given my results back. And I was told to study GH to pursue medicine after the three years, but that's not what I wanted. Thankfully I've been given an unconditional offer from Goldsmiths to study English. However, my family want me to carry on studying at the university and don't see withdrawing from the course until I get to the end of the academic year.

If you know you arent taking the course further then pros and cons the point of staying v leaving.
I would also add do make sure Goldsmiths is the right one, there should be a nu,ber of other unis offering English as well.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest