Lump and pain in my breast. What is it? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
My right breast is larger than my left (which is completely normal especially considering I am a teenager) but it has what feels like a hard ball/lump on the right side of it. I told my doctor but he completely shot down my question claiming that I'm not wearing the right bra size and that I'm growing. My mother also says it may hurt because of my period but it feels like someone is constantly squeezing the inside of my breast and it hurts all the time really bad. What should I do? Help! what could it be??
Ibbx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not a doctor or any thing but it might be breast cancer you do have have a bunch of symptoms associated with breast cancer

Source: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/breast-cancer/symptoms/

Would recommend going to do Tests at a breast cancer clinic since your doctor doesn't seem to concerned
Last edited by Ibbx; 4 weeks ago
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, don’t panic!! I’m sure your doctor gave you the right advice because strange things happen to our body as we go through puberty. In my case, for instance, I used to have a lump beneath my left breast for 2-3 years and I reached the stage of paranoia where I was convinced that it was cancerous, but my doctor even did an X-ray and discovered that it was just fat tissue growth!! If you’re overthinking it and it’s affecting you mentally then there’s nothing wrong with double checking with your GP, but I’m sure your doctor won’t have wrongly advised you and as I said, our breasts can be sensitive at times, especially in the run up to our periods. Good luck and I’m sure it’s nothing! x
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ibbx)
Not a doctor or any thing but it might be breast cancer you do have have a bunch of symptoms associated with breast cancer

Source: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/breast-cancer/symptoms/
Don’t tell her that. She’s young and it’s most common amongst those aged 65 or over. It’s perfectly normal to experience lumps and growths within and around the breast area, and a lot more common than you would think. I know you’re only trying to offer advice, but that’s extreme and will only create unnecessary negative thoughts.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Don’t tell her that. She’s young and it’s most common amongst those aged 65 or over. It’s perfectly normal to experience lumps and growths within and around the breast area, and a lot more common than you would think. I know you’re only trying to offer advice, but that’s extreme and will only create unnecessary negative thoughts.
As if they haven't already said that 🤦*♂️ Idiot
princetonalec
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Most common over 65 yes, but we do not know the medical history of people within OP's family. If theres a history of breast cancer then it would be worth seeking out an ultrasound just to make sure its not a dangerous lump: as it could literally be dense fatty tissue (I had a lump in my own breast once at 18. Due to my family history it had to be investigated, luckily it was just really dense fatty tissue).
Theres no harm in being certain, especially if it's also causing pain.
Anonymous #4
Report 4 weeks ago
You know your own body, if you feel like something is wrong please be persistent and get it checked out. Whilst doctors are amazing, they are also human and don't always get things right.

Whilst breast cancer is more common in over 65's, my mum has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer with no family history of it at age 49 and doctors consider her a 'young' patient. TMI but I have really 'cysty' breasts and that's very normal in women so it could be nothing, I think even if it turns out to be nothing it's better to have an answer and put your mind at rest.

Thinking of you OP x
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Feeling a lump in your breast during puberty is normal. I remember discussing this at a large slumber party as a teen and every girl there had experienced it.

Get.a second GP's opinion if you are still concerned.
Last edited by sinfonietta; 4 weeks ago
drvramachandran
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You know your own body, if you feel like something is wrong please be persistent and get it checked out. Whilst doctors are amazing, they are also human and don't always get things right.

Whilst breast cancer is more common in over 65's, my mum has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer with no family history of it at age 49 and doctors consider her a 'young' patient. TMI but I have really 'cysty' breasts and that's very normal in women so it could be nothing, I think even if it turns out to be nothing it's better to have an answer and put your mind at rest.

Thinking of you OP x
My right breast is larger than my left (which is completely normal especially considering I am a teenager) but it has what feels like a hard ball/lump on the right side of it. I told my doctor but he completely shot down my question claiming that I'm not wearing the right bra size and that I'm growing. My mother also says it may hurt because of my period but it feels like someone is constantly squeezing the inside of my breast and it hurts all the time really bad. What should I do? Help! what could it be??
Common causes of breast pain and swelling during puberty are hormone related breast changes. They usually are more during period time. Cancer is extremely rare in women less than 30. Your doctor is correct. Please don’t worry.
It is also common in teen age men due to hormone changes. You could take paracetamol 3-4 times a day. The pain and swelling usually settles in a couple of years time.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you guys so much! I'll probably calm down a bit and if it still hurts I'll definitely get it checked out again! tysm xx
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
As if they haven't already said that 🤦*♂️ Idiot
Tell that to my 9 A**s 👏🏻
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (363)
59.12%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.37%
No- I want it (174)
28.34%
No- I don't want it (44)
7.17%

Watched Threads