Making friends in student halls Watch

juugsailorshawty
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi i havent gone uni yet but if i were to go, would people be welcoming or friendly if i were to knock on their doors and introduce myself/try become friends with them within the first few weeks? And how would I even go about this bc im sure everyone will be feeling weird about making friends in the first few weeks, especially if it's some random guy at the door. Would a simple "hey im __ im live here nice to meet you" work to start the conversation? and then if they were willing enough, I would try talk about other things.
Johnny Tightlips
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by juugsailorshawty)
Hi i havent gone uni yet but if i were to go, would people be welcoming or friendly if i were to knock on their doors and introduce myself/try become friends with them within the first few weeks? And how would I even go about this bc im sure everyone will be feeling weird about making friends in the first few weeks, especially if it's some random guy at the door. Would a simple "hey im __ im live here nice to meet you" work to start the conversation? and then if they were willing enough, I would try talk about other things.
Of course! It's not weird at all. People will be grateful. 90% of people are nice and friendly.
juugsailorshawty
Rep:
?
(Original post by Johnny Tightlips)
Of course! It's not weird at all. People will be grateful. 90% of people are nice and friendly.
hopefully that 10% won't be my housemates haha
Johnny Tightlips
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hopefully that 10% won't be my housemates haha
Yeah my first year was like that, but out of the 15 or so people on my floor I was good friends with 4 of them which was fine ! There will always be some people
Sataris
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That is literally how it works for the first few days
juugsailorshawty
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sataris)
That is literally how it works for the first few days
welll i wouldnt particularly know
Sataris
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
welll i wouldnt particularly know
And I'm not saying you should know?
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
People are usually quite welcoming and friendly.
When you first move into halls, the convention is for people to usually leave their door slightly open if they're okay with someone coming in and having a chat. That way you're not just running in on people
juugsailorshawty
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidgetFever)
People are usually quite welcoming and friendly.
When you first move into halls, the convention is for people to usually leave their door slightly open if they're okay with someone coming in and having a chat. That way you're not just running in on people
OH WORD??? dam i was never aware of this lmao that kinda seems reassuring although hopefully it wouldn't lead to walking in on them in an awkward situation
Johnny Tightlips
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
OH WORD??? dam i was never aware of this lmao that kinda seems reassuring although hopefully it wouldn't lead to walking in on them in an awkward situation
Yeah prop your door open. Otherwise people won't see if anyone is in there
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (285)
60.51%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.67%