AQA A-level History Question Help [ 1J The British Empire June 2017 paper]

Watch
witchesdontburn
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
For the Part A on this paper, I've gotten stuck on what evidence to use for why Extract C is convincing, I wanted to use the Ashanti Kingdom but it doesn't fall into the question's time frame.
can anyone help? I've checked the mark scheme but it isn't very helpful

I'll paste the extract and the question below:

Extract C

The missionaries bore a special responsibility for the increasing ‘cultural arrogance’ of the British public and misrepresenting African society in a way calculated to give rise also to racial arrogance. The reasons are not difficult to discern. The missionaries were entirely dependent on public support and subscriptions to carry on their work. Missionaries were urged to send home detailed reports of their activities and of the 5 conditions they found. These reports were then given a very wide circulation. To gain public sympathy, missionaries were inevitably tempted to stress the earthly as well as the spiritual aspects of their work and to represent the life of the unconverted African as brutal and barbarous. Some resorted to a kind of ‘before and after’ picture, representing the converted African as in a much happier condition. This form of propaganda did at 10 least portray the African as capable of improvement, but it also, of necessity, belittled his indigenous culture. African religion was often ill-served by missionary observation.
Adapted from M E Chamberlain, The Scramble for Africa, 2010

[01] Using your understanding of the historical context, assess how convincing the arguments in these three extracts are in relation to the influence of missionaries and religion on attitudes to empire in Britain in the years 1857 to 1890.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (111)
5%
Uncertainty around my education (333)
14.99%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (242)
10.9%
Lack of purpose or motivation (308)
13.87%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (102)
4.59%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (128)
5.76%
Loneliness (192)
8.64%
Financial worries (86)
3.87%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (93)
4.19%
Exposure to negative news/social media (105)
4.73%
Lack of real life entertainment (118)
5.31%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (194)
8.73%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (209)
9.41%

Watched Threads