A gay Somali Briton, ask me anything

Watch
Westldn
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
A gay Somali Briton is interested in broadening awareness of the diversity amongst us, from LGBT+ to atheism to agnosticism. There is an array of us and happy to diversify the misconception of Somali's being homogenous.
Johnny Tightlips
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Westldn)
A gay Somali Briton is interested in broadening awareness of the diversity amongst us, from LGBT+ to atheism to agnosticism. There is an array of us and happy to diversify the misconception of Somali's being homogenous.
A gay, a Somali and a Briton walk into a bar.

The barman says "is this some kind of joke"
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
To what extent do you agree that Salt and Vinegar is a superior crisp flavour?
Westldn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Johnny Tightlips)
A gay, a Somali and a Briton walk into a bar.

The barman says "is this some kind of joke"
(Original post by 04MR17)
To what extent do you agree that Salt and Vinegar is a superior crisp flavour?
I don't think a serious response is required for either of the two, but nonetheless thanks for participating!
Westldn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Westldn)
Just to clarify, I meant to have questions asked that are directly relevant to the nature of the topic... not random AMA questions. Thanks, much appreciated.
wasted100
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hello fellow Somalian can I ask how did you come out to your parents?
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
What is your perfect breakfast?
Westldn
Rep:
?
(Original post by wasted100)
Hello fellow Somalian can I ask how did you come out to your parents?
Actually considering the toxicity of the Somali approach/attitude to homosexuality, it was relatively OK. I told them I was into other guys when I was 14, I was seeing a guy friend and ended up catching feelings. I felt the need to tell my family about my true identity, without feeling like I'm being superficial around them. I was a confident kid and wasn't scared about articulating myself.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Have you experienced any racism within the gay male community? I've heard dating apps like grindr can be quite prejudice
Westldn
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Have you experienced any racism wuithin the gay male community? I've heard dating apps like grindr can be quite prejudice
I don't think just because some people have been overtly racist towards me on those apps then means all gays are like that. Personally I call it out when someone assumes it is some sort of kink to use racist epithets towards me. I can't speak for everyone though, I think I am fortunate not to have lots of people like that in my inbox.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (169)
14.68%
I'm not sure (53)
4.6%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (338)
29.37%
I have already dropped out (34)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (557)
48.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed