My mum overdosed tonight TW Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I had just spent the day with my boyfriend and decided to get an early night as I was tired. I didn’t say good night to my mum or check up on her before I went to bed which I really should’ve done.
I woke up to my mum’s boyfriend coming home only about 20 mins later shouting about calling an ambulance. She had overdosed on a lot of pills of Co-Codamol not long before he got home. I didn’t know until he was talking to the paramedics that they had had an argument earlier that day before he went out. My mum has suffered from depression for decades & I feel awful as I didn’t even realise she was feeling so low at the moment too.
The ambulance came late, took around 3 hours to get here but during that time she had puked up a lot including some of the pills. She’s gone to the hospital for a blood test & ECG to make sure she’s okay now.
I feel so guilty that I didn’t check up on her before going to bed. I feel like I should’ve been more aware of what was happening, that I should’ve spent more time with her recently and maybe I would noticed. I don’t know what I’d do without her, she’s my world and I love her so much. I’m not even sure how to properly respond to this, I don’t know what I can do for her now.
I don’t really even know if I expect anyone to reply to this, I just had to get it out.
the_queen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
just hug her as much as possible, tell her you are there for her if she wants to speak, tell her she is your world, take her for shopping, or for a new haircut, talk to a psychologist asking for advice...

Good luck!
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
your so brave for sharing, just be there with her and support her recovery
princetonalec
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm extremely sorry that you went through this, so I will try and say this as nicely as I can.
Your mother needs help, and sadly you're not qualified to provide it. As someone who has felt suicidal in the past I know how difficult my situation was to handle, to the point where my mother couldn't help me and professional help is needed. This is the same situation, but the familial roles are reversed.
The best support your can provide to your mother is pushing her towards getting professional psychological help. Please don't beat yourself up, the only situation in which it would be justified would be if you were her full time live in carer, and you're not.
Wishing you the best.
Last edited by princetonalec; 4 weeks ago
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As much as you need to take care and be supportive of your mum, you also need to look after yourself, and make sure you are OK too. You are important in this as well. This was probably quite traumatic for you to go through? Please seek help and encourage your mum to as well, hopefully the hospital have referred her to the local CMHT or even HTT. If not it would be worth having a discussion with her about it and encouraging her to seek help, maybe even taking her to a GP appointment.

Take care OP. You'll get through this. If you need to chat, I'm around to talk. I'm really sorry this happened. Suicide and suicide attempts are horrific for those around the person and the one directly suffering. I hope you get some peace soon.
duckduckgo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m so sorry you’re going through this, I hope your mum will be okayI know it’s easy to think of all the things you could’ve done differently but right now finding ways to make this your fault won’t change anything, so as hard as it is, try to focus more on what you can do right now to be there for your mum and that might help take your mind off guilt in a way that’s helpful and positiveIf you need anyone to talk to or rant at feel free to add me on snap ( @ kittyravi )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (519)
59.93%
Yes- I don't like it (44)
5.08%
No- I want it (244)
28.18%
No- I don't want it (59)
6.81%

Watched Threads