Glute Growth Watch

FrancescaC2000
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
With heavier weights and fewer reps, should you do more or less sets?
For example if I set my Hip thrusts up so I do a lighter weight (50kg for example) for 4 sets of 12 which is my standard to start, - and then if I do a heavier set after (say 80/90kg) for 4-8 reps, shall I do 3 sets? 4 sets? or 5 sets?
I have been doing for 5 and it doesn't feel too much doing that, I'm just aware at that point I'm doing 9 sets of hip thrusts all at a moderate - high rep count (as in they aren't clusters / sets of 1 or 2)
SOFRanger
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by FrancescaC2000)
With heavier weights and fewer reps, should you do more or less sets?
For example if I set my Hip thrusts up so I do a lighter weight (50kg for example) for 4 sets of 12 which is my standard to start, - and then if I do a heavier set after (say 80/90kg) for 4-8 reps, shall I do 3 sets? 4 sets? or 5 sets?
I have been doing for 5 and it doesn't feel too much doing that, I'm just aware at that point I'm doing 9 sets of hip thrusts all at a moderate - high rep count (as in they aren't clusters / sets of 1 or 2)
Studies have shown that training your muscles close to failure promotes growth, since you're aiming for hypertrophy you're going to want to keep that in mind. It's often said that high reps (8-12) and low-intensity leans towards hypertrophy while low reps (3-5) and high-intensity leans towards strength gains. Mind you, if you train for hypertrophy you still will make strength gains and vice versa.
I suggest you watch this video by Athlean X to get a better understanding of how to maximise hypertrophy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKDYfRtfqng). In essence, you're going to want to focus on time under tension rather than a certain number of reps or sets. Focusing on numbers alone could possibly mean you aren't training to your maximum potential.

Let me know if you found the video helpful. I understand that this approach goes against the conventional bodybuilding/powerlifting 'rules' of "4X12" or "5X5" but if hypertrophy is your goal this approach will definitely do the trick.
Last edited by SOFRanger; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (481)
59.46%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.32%
No- I want it (231)
28.55%
No- I don't want it (54)
6.67%

Watched Threads