TanguyF
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I feel like PPE at York has been for a long time the alternative to Oxford but that now it comes mostly to Warwick and Durham when it's not about the London unis.

Ranking-wise, as silly as it sounds, York is quite behind whether it is in philosophy, in politics or in economics. Yet, It may be the most interdisciplinary one.
Has anyone experience at york in terms of PPE?
Is it still a really good degree with quite the prestige it may have had?
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TanguyF)
I feel like PPE at York has been for a long time the alternative to Oxford but that now it comes mostly to Warwick and Durham when it's not about the London unis.

Ranking-wise, as silly as it sounds, York is quite behind whether it is in philosophy, in politics or in economics. Yet, It may be the most interdisciplinary one.
Has anyone experience at york in terms of PPE?
Is it still a really good degree with quite the prestige it may have had?
Nothing is an alternative to Oxford for PPE. PPE is sinonimos with Oxford.

If you dont want to go to Oxford, or as many do, fail to get in then York is a very good uni probably slightly less prestigious then Warwick or Durham overall but for this type of course I think it will only be a small difference to graduate prospects, what you do at uni will matter far more.
TanguyF
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
York is a very good uni probably slightly less prestigious then Warwick or Durham overall but for this type of course I think it will only be a small difference to graduate prospects, what you do at uni will matter far more.
Slightly is what I'm looking for, I do not really like Durham's atmosphere and Coventry area isn't really my cup of tea.
The thing is, as an international student, PPE in Manchester might sound way more appealing to an employer than York PPE based on international rankings for example.

I don't know whether I should pick prestige in the UK or international prestige. And yeah, screw prestige but come on I'd like to see a bit of money in my bank account after having a 30K student debt.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Are you an international student? Which country/ies would you look for work in after graduation?
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TanguyF)
The thing is, as an international student, PPE in Manchester might sound way more appealing to an employer than York PPE based on international rankings for example.
Manchester is a huge research uni, it has lots of world leading researchers and has one lots of Nobel prizes, this is why it is ranked highly in QS, because QS methodology specifically rates research and collects opinion data from researchers.

I think it will be almost identical graduate prospects between Manchester & York. PPE is not a research degree...
TanguyF
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
Are you an international student? Which country/ies would you look for work in after graduation?
Yes, I am French, and I would most probably see myself doing my postgraduates studies in France or in Canada but that could be in the UK as well.
That's why I don't want to forget rankings but that's obviously as important as the quality of the course ( which is why I do hesitate with Manchester ) and the overall ambient.

(Original post by mnot)
Manchester is a huge research uni, it has lots of world leading researchers and has one lots of Nobel prizes, this is why it is ranked highly in QS, because QS methodology specifically rates research and collects opinion data from researchers.

I think it will be almost identical graduate prospects between Manchester & York. PPE is not a research degree...
My first thought would be to think that the course would be inferior to the one in York because that's what York has been known for to some extent right? And Manchester is quite a sciences focused uni, isn't it? But hey, rankings are there and people do not have a damn idea what PPE in York is where I'm from.

I was just wondering if York still has the reputation it had or if it has now let the place to unis such as Warwick. Is it still considered a top uni? I mean at least in the UK.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
From recollection York was about the only university outside Oxford to offer a PPE degree for a long time (in reality a lot of economics and politics joint honours degrees would cover the same ground). I think as such the course was pretty well known. Lots of universities started offering this degree. Why? Well - I guess students wanted it. Those who (or whose parents) thought the economics part would be more employable than politics/ philosophy. In addition economics degrees became far more maths focused so it was a way to offer economics to those without the level of maths,

I'm not sure how heavily I would look at economics rankings for PPE courses. Warwick for example is very tough to get into for economics and a notably mathematical degree course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (290)
60.42%
Yes- I don't like it (23)
4.79%