Getting into Veterinary Medicine, University of Nottingham (Animal Science)

Watch
10kMonty
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, I need some help regarding getting into Veterinary medicine. I've always wanted to be a vet my whole life, I've had my ups and downs with education but I managed to secure an unconditional offer for Animal Sciences at the University of Nottingham.
I have realized that with animal sciences you wouldn't be able to go into veterinarian practices immediately, without doing veterinary medicine.
I would like to get some advice of how to either quickly get into Veterinary medicine or how to transition from animal science to veterinary medicine. Bear in mind I have a BTEC DDM in Level 3 Applied Science, also I have no A-levels whatsoever. I wouldn't mind taking an A level in chemistry during my first year?
Also, if somebody has experience taking Animal sciences at University of Nottingham please share you're insight on what the course includes.
Thank you
FrancescaC2000
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 10kMonty)
Hello, I need some help regarding getting into Veterinary medicine. I've always wanted to be a vet my whole life, I've had my ups and downs with education but I managed to secure an unconditional offer for Animal Sciences at the University of Nottingham.
I have realized that with animal sciences you wouldn't be able to go into veterinarian practices immediately, without doing veterinary medicine.
I would like to get some advice of how to either quickly get into Veterinary medicine or how to transition from animal science to veterinary medicine. Bear in mind I have a BTEC DDM in Level 3 Applied Science, also I have no A-levels whatsoever. I wouldn't mind taking an A level in chemistry during my first year?
Also, if somebody has experience taking Animal sciences at University of Nottingham please share you're insight on what the course includes.
Thank you
As far as I am aware, unless you are accepted onto a course with your BTEC (general VetMed requirements are A/B grade A-levels in both Biology and Chemistry) the only other ways of getting onto a vetmed course is:
- Through a gateway course which is set up for lower grades if you fall into certain categories (low income school areas / postal addresses etc)
- Getting a science based bachelors degree (animal science is good) and then completing a PostGrad Veterinary Medicine degree (this can sometimes be offered as an accelerated course)
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you
I presume you are a UK entrant? If so then grad entry vet med is even more competitive and normal 5 year entry and due to the fact that you'll have to fund yourself should only be considered as a last resort. Therefore think about what you could do to be able to apply as an undergraduate, as you say sit A level chemistry for example. You need to look at the university websites, check all their entry conditions (they vary), contact their admissions for extra info, and then put a plan into place.
123vet
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you
Hi
Just to clarify a few things. If you do animal science, you would have to finish that degree and then apply to vet school after getting a good grade. You can't transfer from animal science into the vet med course at Nottingham (or anywhere else; the vet med course is simply too competitive for there to be space for people to transition on from other degrees. This used to be possible years ago, but it isn't now).

Best advice would be to do some soul-searching - what about vet med makes you think "this is for me"? If it's working with animals and people, is there another career that would satisfy you? If yes, great - now investigate if animal sciences could lead you to that degree.

If you're truly convinced vet med is the only thing for you, here are your options:
- Apply for vet med after completing your animal science degree with good grades (you would have to fund the vet med degree yourself though - much less student finance for second degree)
- Take a gap year - reject your unconditional offer, find somewhere to study your A Levels (you'll probably need Biology, Chemistry and 1 other) and gather work experience needed, then apply to vet med courses. This is, admittedly, a rather tall order for one year, and potentially very difficult to accomplish (depending on your previous experience and personal circumstances).
- Investigate gateway/preliminary year options - some people from certain backgrounds are eligible for vet med courses without doing the right sets of A Levels/having the required grades. Whether this applies to you depends on your personal situation - you'll need to do some research and speak to different unis.

Sidenote: maybe consider other related degrees, like vet nursing - you may still need A Levels or a degree to get in, but a vet nursing course is shorter than vet med, so if it is your second degree, it could potentially be easier to fund this?

Sorry there's no easier answer to this one - I hope this has helped a little and all the best xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (73)
22.96%
Excited but a bit nervous (143)
44.97%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.95%
I'm really nervous (64)
20.13%

Watched Threads