The Student Room Group

Mum moving in with her boyfriend

So my mum is moving in with her boyfriend in the summer before my final year, at the moment I get max maintenance loan because my mum earns about £20k a year, but her boyfriend of the last 11 years earns closer to £45k a year. I live at uni but otherwise I spend the rest of my living time outside of uni and before uni at home with my mum. Since my dad got married I haven't stayed over at their house (which is about 3 years ago now). I have a part time job working as a steward at a local football club and because of that I only get paid about £140 a month, and since my course requires me to spend most of my own time doing personal study, I don't know what I can do about student finance for my final year as I understand I would need to declare his income on my application as well, but he has 2 sons (21 and 19, I'm 21) he has to provide for as well, so I can't see what I can do about living, I don't want to drop out being so close to completing my degree, plus there isn't anything about my degree and its subject I don't enjoy.

I'm just looking for advice on what to do about my student finance, as living at home won't really be an option due to the house being overcrowded, and I don't think i'll have the time to get another part time job with the amount of personal study and projects I have to do for my course.
Original post by joshperson
So my mum is moving in with her boyfriend in the summer before my final year, at the moment I get max maintenance loan because my mum earns about £20k a year, but her boyfriend of the last 11 years earns closer to £45k a year. I live at uni but otherwise I spend the rest of my living time outside of uni and before uni at home with my mum. Since my dad got married I haven't stayed over at their house (which is about 3 years ago now). I have a part time job working as a steward at a local football club and because of that I only get paid about £140 a month, and since my course requires me to spend most of my own time doing personal study, I don't know what I can do about student finance for my final year as I understand I would need to declare his income on my application as well, but he has 2 sons (21 and 19, I'm 21) he has to provide for as well, so I can't see what I can do about living, I don't want to drop out being so close to completing my degree, plus there isn't anything about my degree and its subject I don't enjoy.

I'm just looking for advice on what to do about my student finance, as living at home won't really be an option due to the house being overcrowded, and I don't think i'll have the time to get another part time job with the amount of personal study and projects I have to do for my course.

Hi Josh,

How old are you?

Thanks, Jen
Reply 2
Original post by Jen SFE
Hi Josh,

How old are you?

Thanks, Jen

I'm 21, I'll be 22 at the start of my 3rd year
I'm 21, I'll be 22 at the start of my 3rd year

Hi Josh, you are correct in saying that we would need your mothers partners details also as he now contributes to the income, the only other way to assess the application based on your income is if for were deemed to be an independent student. If any of the following apply to you then I would advise to send evidence of this and we will be able to assess you as an independent student:

- If you are married/divorced before the start of the academic year.
- If you have care of a child on the first day of the academic year.
- If you are married or in a civil partnership before the start of the academic year.
- If you are irreconcilably estranged from your parents (have no contact with them).
- If you have no living parents
- If you been assessed based on one parents income, this parent passes away during the year
- If you have been the subject of a care order
- If you cannot find your parents or it's not reasonably practical to get in touch with them
- If you have self supported (earned enough income yourself) for 36 months before the start of your course.

Thanks, Aaron.
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Aaron
Hi Josh, you are correct in saying that we would need your mothers partners details also as he now contributes to the income, the only other way to assess the application based on your income is if for were deemed to be an independent student. If any of the following apply to you then I would advise to send evidence of this and we will be able to assess you as an independent student:

- If you are married/divorced before the start of the academic year.
- If you have care of a child on the first day of the academic year.
- If you are married or in a civil partnership before the start of the academic year.
- If you are irreconcilably estranged from your parents (have no contact with them).
- If you have no living parents
- If you been assessed based on one parents income, this parent passes away during the year
- If you have been the subject of a care order
- If you cannot find your parents or it's not reasonably practical to get in touch with them
- If you have self supported (earned enough income yourself) for 36 months before the start of your course.

Thanks, Aaron.

Thanks Aaron but none of those apply to me
Thanks Aaron but none of those apply to me

Hi, then in this case we will use their income also. If you do have any questions in the future, please feel free to contact us again. Thanks, Aaron.

Quick Reply