The Student Room Group

Simple AQA A level psychology question-I have no teacher!

Simple question! Regarding AQA A level psychology. If nobody knows could somebody ask their teacher for me? I don't have one since I'm learning it myself (to sit as an independent candidate) and I called AQA to ask but they basically repeated the specification to me and then said I should ask my teacher first.

Basically in the specification it just says 'use of statistical tables and critical values in interpretation of significance.' I've seen a couple past paper questions about comparing observed values to critical value tables and in those they provided (within the question) BOTH the already calculated degrees of freedom and whether you should find a value equal to or greater than the critical value or whether you should find a value equal to or less than it to reject the null hypothesis.

However, in the CGP revision guide and a few online resources I've found, they include the degrees of freedom and greater than or less than for each inferential test, so I was wondering if you guys have been told to learn them or if you just need to know generally how to use critical value tables and those details will always be included in the question.

I'd be immensely grateful for any insight about what is taught in classes or if you explicitly know what will be given to us in the exam. Thanks guys!
Reply 1
Boosting cause I need help!
I can't answer this but I'm going to boost you again so maybe someone else will see this thread
Reply 3
Original post by SoftGingerCat
I can't answer this but I'm going to boost you again so maybe someone else will see this thread

Thank you so much x it’s driving me crazy not knowing!
I think you're asking if you need to know how to do each test. The only statistical test that you must be able to conduct is the sign test. For all the others, you will get the calculated value, a table and you have to apply the data in the question to determine statistical significance.
Reply 5
I’m not asking that but I appreciate you trying to help ☺️❤️ It’s when you’re applying the data to a critical values table you might need to calculate degrees of freedom, to see which row you should use to find values. Like sometimes you’ll see N=20 if you have 20 participants right? But if the degrees of freedom are N=20-2 you’d actually look across row 18 to compare critical values. So it’s part of the comparing, not doing the test, and they teach how to do it for each test in the CGP revision guide but then seem to just tell you the degrees of freedom for each test on the paper-so I’m confused as all hell! Hope I somewhat cleared up my query ☺️
Original post by chloebird
I’m not asking that but I appreciate you trying to help ☺️❤️ It’s when you’re applying the data to a critical values table you might need to calculate degrees of freedom, to see which row you should use to find values. Like sometimes you’ll see N=20 if you have 20 participants right? But if the degrees of freedom are N=20-2 you’d actually look across row 18 to compare critical values. So it’s part of the comparing, not doing the test, and they teach how to do it for each test in the CGP revision guide but then seem to just tell you the degrees of freedom for each test on the paper-so I’m confused as all hell! Hope I somewhat cleared up my query ☺️

Sometimes it tells you the significance and sometimes you have to find it in the table. Whether the value is significant above and below the value it will tell you in the question E. G it it is significant if the critical value is above the observed value.
Simple question! Regarding AQA A level psychology. If nobody knows could somebody ask their teacher for me? I don't have one since I'm learning it myself (to sit as an independent candidate) and I called AQA to ask but they basically repeated the specification to me and then said I should ask my teacher first.

Basically in the specification it just says 'use of statistical tables and critical values in interpretation of significance.' I've seen a couple past paper questions about comparing observed values to critical value tables and in those they provided (within the question) BOTH the already calculated degrees of freedom and whether you should find a value equal to or greater than the critical value or whether you should find a value equal to or less than it to reject the null hypothesis.

However, in the CGP revision guide and a few online resources I've found, they include the degrees of freedom and greater than or less than for each inferential test, so I was wondering if you guys have been told to learn them or if you just need to know generally how to use critical value tables and those details will always be included in the question.

I'd be immensely grateful for any insight about what is taught in classes or if you explicitly know what will be given to us in the exam. Thanks guys!

Hey. My teacher tells us that we only need to know how to calculate the sign test. However for all of the other tests we need to know: when you would use this test (related/unrelated data, nominal/ordinal) and you need to know whether the calculated value should be greater than or less than the critical value in order to be significant. You dont need to know any specific calculations or numbers for those.

Hope I helped and good luck with psychology 😊
Reply 8
Original post by Govvyghost
Hey. My teacher tells us that we only need to know how to calculate the sign test. However for all of the other tests we need to know: when you would use this test (related/unrelated data, nominal/ordinal) and you need to know whether the calculated value should be greater than or less than the critical value in order to be significant. You dont need to know any specific calculations or numbers for those.

Hope I helped and good luck with psychology 😊

Alright, I’ll take it we’re all good on the degrees of freedom but do need to know the above or below then-thank you! Time to go learn that 😂🔫

My teacher made this great table that we need to try to learn for the exams which identifies stats test and tells you when to accept and reject hypothesis based on critical and calculated values. Based on your question I believe you would have to read the context, establish what stat test it is and then (using the table) accept or reject a hypothesis. However I am in school right now and I don't have it on me so I can send you it around 4 pm
Reply 10
Original post by nat_krasz
My teacher made this great table that we need to try to learn for the exams which identifies stats test and tells you when to accept and reject hypothesis based on critical and calculated values. Based on your question I believe you would have to read the context, establish what stat test it is and then (using the table) accept or reject a hypothesis. However I am in school right now and I don't have it on me so I can send you it around 4 pm

I really appreciate that but don’t worry about it-think I’ve got it down now! Super sweet of you to offer me resources though x y’all are too much ☺️❤️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending