Jyay
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi does anyone have any quote analysis on Scrooge’s change or regret for chapter one to three
r312789
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Based on the presumption that you are already well-informed in regards to the description of Scrooge in Stave 1 (e.g. 'solitary as an oyster' 'the cold within him froze his old features', here are some quotations from Staves 2 and 3. These much are less common in exam answers (which is good), so if you have any questions, feel free to ask! I haven't added Stave 4 quotes, so ensure you have these (look in the book if you are unsure).

For again Scrooge saw himself. He was oldernow; a man in the prime of life. His face had not the harsh and rigid lines of later years; but it had begun to wear the signs of care and avarice. There was an eager, greedy, restless motion in the eye, which showed the passion that had taken root, and where the shadow of thegrowing tree would fall.

Scrooge observed that its light was burning high and bright; and dimly connecting that with its influence over him, he seized the extinguisher-cap, and by a sudden action pressed it down upon its head. The Spirit dropped beneath it, so that the extinguisher covered its whole form; but though Scrooge pressed it down with all his force, he could not hide the light: which streamed from under it, in an unbroken flood upon the ground.

“If these shadows remain unaltered by the Future, none other of my race,” returned the Ghost, “will find him here. What then? If he be like to die, he had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.”

“Man,” said the Ghost, “if man you be in heart,not adamant, forbear that wicked cant until you have discovered What the surplus is, and Where it is. Will you decide what men shall live, what men shall die? It may be, that in the sight of Heaven, you are more worthless and less fit to live than millions like this poor man’s child.

Much they saw, and far they went, and many homes they visited, but always with a happy end. The Spirit stood beside sick beds, and they were cheerful; on foreign lands, and they were close at home; by struggling men, and they were patient in their greater hope; by poverty, and it was rich. In almshouse, hospital, and jail, in misery’s every refuge, where vain man in his little brief authority had not made fast the door, and barred the Spirit out, he left his blessing, and taught Scrooge his precepts.
Jyay
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you so much I was wondering with the ghost of Christmas past and how it’s portrayed what it shows
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (7)
5.07%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
17.39%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.39%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
13.77%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
28.99%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed