What are the top 5 most competitive university courses? Watch

CurioussGeorge
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Just wondering what you think the top 5 most competitive and difficult university courses to get onto are!
PetitePanda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Medicine, PPE or PPL, Law, History and Natural sciences. Edit: I totally agree with dentistry from what other users' lists
Last edited by PetitePanda; 3 weeks ago
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Well, Medicine, Dentistry and Vet Med will be up there somewhere.

Other courses depend mainly on the Unis.
smurfontheseboys
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
ffs. a user said law. thinking of doing history but since thats also in demand might pick tourism..
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by smurfontheseboys)
ffs. a user said law. thinking of doing history but since thats also in demand might pick tourism..
It's competitive depending on the uni for law tho and thats the same with history. If you want to do history, totally go for it; why do you not want to do it anymore???
pizzachic
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd say Medicine, dentistry, Law, Biomedical science and Biochemistry
smurfontheseboys
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by PetitePanda)
It's competitive depending on the uni for law tho and thats the same with history. If you want to do history, totally go for it; why do you not want to do it anymore???
a level law is a bit tedius+getting an e on 2 of my exams(improved to a c) demotivated me. history germany was fun and Tudors is also not as fun as i thought but who knows. im gonna pick between hist+psych. really depends on the end of thisyear and my predicted grades. really want uob but for law and psych they want 3A's. hist is AAB
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
a level law is a bit tedius+getting an e on 2 of my exams(improved to a c) demotivated me. history germany was fun and Tudors is also not as fun as i thought but who knows. im gonna pick between hist+psych. really depends on the end of thisyear and my predicted grades. really want uob but for law and psych they want 3A's. hist is AAB
Omg im doing the same topics as you and i totally understand this. Good luck with your studies tho and i hope you get the predicted grades. Are you in year 12 and havent got your predicted grades or in yr 13, waiting for offers?
swanseajack1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Omg im doing the same topics as you and i totally understand this. Good luck with your studies tho and i hope you get the predicted grades. Are you in year 12 and havent got your predicted grades or in yr 13, waiting for offers?
Based on top universities the most competitive courses are Maths, Physics and Medicine.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...e-courses.html
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Based on top universities the most competitive courses are Maths, Physics and Medicine.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...e-courses.html
Thanks for the information; I was quite surprised at maths since I thought it was quite competitive but not as much as physics and medicine
13ybr1024
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by CurioussGeorge)
Just wondering what you think the top 5 most competitive and difficult university courses to get onto are!
Medicine, vetmed, dentistry and anything to do with economics
ella1902
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Medicine, dentistry, and veterinary of course very difficult subjects requiring the best of the best.
Then I would say education and art, they aren’t overly hard subjects but they are very oversubscribed, some unis have 2000 applicants for 15 places for education, or 700 applicants for 20 spaces in art.
smurfontheseboys
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Y12
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Y12
Ohhh well for law, university of Birmingham is quite lenient as they have been giving out unconditional offers till the government stopped them giving so much so they now give out CCC and higher, which is relatively similar. However, since you still in yr 12, your offer might be lowered, maybe from contextual data - there's also access to Birmingham like access to leeds but im not too sure what you have to do for that. Anyways, you shouldnt give up on doing what you want or interested in until you get your predicted grades, offers or rejection and finally your a level grades - good luck
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It entirely depends on the country, university, and course in question, as well as potentially your fee status (there are a fixed number of places for international students on medical degrees, for example, set by the government; also EU and Scottish applicants to Scottish unis contend with a similar quota, although in return they get their tuition fees paid by SAAS in full). In the US, you don't apply to specific courses, just individual universities. In the UK, where you apply to a course at a university, then different universities have different success rates for the same courses, and general trends may not apply to individual universities (and general impressions may well be wrong).

At Cambridge last year, for example, philosophy (17% success rate), HSPS (17% success rate) and architecture (8% success rate) were more competitive than medicine (18% success rate). These numbers are fairly close to the success rates of those courses each year for the past 5 years or so. However this doesn't necessarily mean HSPS is more competitive than medicine at Cambridge; there is inevitably going to be some element of self selection involved for either course, and for medicine the potential pool of applicants is constrained further due to the higher minimum entry criteria (which you would need to be predicted normally to be interviewed) of A*A*A (compared to A*AA for HSPS), and the specific subject requirements of 3 STEM subjects to A-level, compared to no required subjects for HSPS. So while the average success rate for medicine may be better, the overall strength of the cohort may also be higher and so it might be harder for a more "average" (by Cambridge standards) applicant to get in, compared to another course.

For another example, often creative arts courses (fine art, architecture, design, etc) are more competitive, because the requirements for those courses (studio space and materials etc) means the cohorts on those degree programmes generally are smaller than on a course wholly taught by lectures (for example maths), and the admissions format of portfolio evaluation potentially allows assessors to more easily "weed out" more weaker applicants than just grades on paper might. Similarly allied health professions courses likewise tend to be smaller (so more people competing per place) due to being funded by a strained NHS budget, and require relevant work experience and potentially an interview process where they want to see applicants reflecting on that experience, and so often are very competitive - midwifery courses normally have lower success rates than medicine courses as I understand.

Off the top of my head though, particularly competitive courses (which are taking applicants currently, are open to school leavers, and publish such statistics in an easy to find location) include International Social and Public Policy and Economics at LSE (I think it's around a 3% success rate), Politics and International Relations at LSE (the joint course, about a 4% success rate as I recall), Economics & Management at Oxford (about a 6% success rate) Physics & Philosophy at Oxford (8%) History of Art at Oxford (9%), Architecture at Cambridge (8%) Computer Science at Cambridge (11%), and Psychological & Behavioural Sciences at Cambridge (15%). I would note except for E&M (which I'm not sure about cohort size), all the Oxbridge courses have in common that they are relatively small courses for Oxbridge (typically less than 70 students per course; architecture at Cam and HoA at Ox are particularly small).
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by CurioussGeorge)
Here's Cambridge's "success" rate by course.
Name:  Screenshot 2020-01-28 at 22.17.48.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  376.3 KB

Architecture and Graduate Medicine are the "most competitive".

You might note Philosophy is more "competitive" than Medicine.

By the way, generally it's best to look at offer rates rather than acceptance rates.

You can see them on https://university.which.co.uk but there's no easy way to get an overall "ranking" for all subjects and it's pretty meaningless anyway. The reality is most UCAS applicants receive 3+ offers from their 5 choices (except medicine / vetmed / etc which are much more competitive)
UGP1023
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is psychology a competitive course?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why? Pick a course you actually want to study and will enjoy.

Law is only "competitive" at a very few universities (and history would be competitive at those universities too).

Even at, say, Durham the History course has a 60% offer rate.
https://university.which.co.uk/durha...0-ad262aac98f2

On the other hand, Law at UCL has a 21% offer rate.

At most universities it will be much higher.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by UGP1023)
Is psychology a competitive course?
Here's the Which Uni list of 166 Psychology courses sorted from lowest offer rate to highest.

https://university.which.co.uk/searc...er_offer__desc

Bath is listed 6th.
Offer rate is 44% - nearly half of all applicants get an offer.
https://university.which.co.uk/unive...0-b8e14bb844dc
smurfontheseboys
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ohhh well for law, university of Birmingham is quite lenient as they have been giving out unconditional offers till the government stopped them giving so much so they now give out CCC and higher, which is relatively similar. However, since you still in yr 12, your offer might be lowered, maybe from contextual data - there's also access to Birmingham like access to leeds but im not too sure what you have to do for that. Anyways, you shouldnt give up on doing what you want or interested in until you get your predicted grades, offers or rejection and finally your a level grades - good luck
Ye ill be applying for a2b since i qualify for it(every area of brum is **** so we winning). Hopefully i get BBB so its not 2 low. So gassed rn but not gonna get my hopes up yk dont wanna lay back and not get in.

(Original post by Doones)
Why? Pick a course you actually want to study and will enjoy.

Law is only "competitive" at a very few universities (and history would be competitive at those universities too).

Even at, say, Durham the History course has a 60% offer rate.
https://university.which.co.uk/durha...0-ad262aac98f2

On the other hand, Law at UCL has a 21% offer rate.

At most universities it will be much higher.
Only uni wanna go to is uob. Cba to move out. Idk im stuck between my 3 a levels. Psychology atm is the most fun. Hist and law are alright. However the solicitor salary is attracting me atm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (224)
67.47%
No (108)
32.53%

Watched Threads