afreen_12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I have to answer this question for coursework
' Social class is inherently discriminatory in Harper Lee's TKAM to what extent do you agree'
Can anyone help me with points for and against for this and quotes which link? I already have some points but I need more.
FrancescaC2000
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by afreen_12)
I have to answer this question for coursework
' Social class is inherently discriminatory in Harper Lee's TKAM to what extent do you agree'
Can anyone help me with points for and against for this and quotes which link? I already have some points but I need more.
For:
You could talk about the main key quote and name of the book being the extended metaphor of the "mockingbird". Mockingbirds don't have their own song, they simply copy the loud and obnoxious songs of the "blue jay" and other birds so they are purely just a manifestation of other birds. Boo Radley and Tom Robinson are the reflection of this. The people of Maycomb only know them by what other people say about them and they don't argue against it and eventually Scout and Jem find out that the way Boo was portrayed in society is not true, and so we come to understand the power of a loud and obnoxious society (like the blue jay). Because society itself is a social construct, it has to be built on people's individual prejudice and discrimination which we know contextually was racist and homophobic etc. Boo Radley is a micro-version of Tom Robinson in where Boo is cast out by his neighbourhood, Robinson is cast out by society (representing how black people were treated in southern America after the civil war) all based on tales and stories of the "blue jay". Essentially the "majority" / white high class of society is the blue jay, and Boo and Tom are the mockingbirds - condemned to a life of low status and social isolation because high society decided to put them there.

In basic terms, the execution of social class is inherently whatever the loudest and most obnoxious people say it is. In this case, it is built solely on a white society being racist and condemning all those who go against it - society and social class is built on a system of "blue jays" and "mockingbirds"

I'm sure you can explain this better haha I'm out of literary practise
Last edited by FrancescaC2000; 7 months ago
afreen_12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by FrancescaC2000)
For:
You could talk about the main key quote and name of the book being the extended metaphor of the "mockingbird". Mockingbirds don't have their own song, they simply copy the loud and obnoxious songs of the "blue jay" and other birds so they are purely just a manifestation of other birds. Boo Radley and Tom Robinson are the reflection of this. The people of Maycomb only know them by what other people say about them and they don't argue against it and eventually Scout and Jem find out that the way Boo was portrayed in society is not true, and so we come to understand the power of a loud and obnoxious society (like the blue jay). Because society itself is a social construct, it has to be built on people's individual prejudice and discrimination which we know contextually was racist and homophobic etc. Boo Radley is a micro-version of Tom Robinson in where Boo is cast out by his neighbourhood, Robinson is cast out by society (representing how black people were treated in southern America after the civil war) all based on tales and stories of the "blue jay". Essentially the "majority" / white high class of society is the blue jay, and Boo and Tom are the mockingbirds - condemned to a life of low status and social isolation because high society decided to put them there.

In basic terms, the execution of social class is inherently whatever the loudest and most obnoxious people say it is. In this case, it is built solely on a white society being racist and condemning all those who go against it - society and social class is built on a system of "blue jays" and "mockingbirds"

I'm sure you can explain this better haha I'm out of literary practise
thank you so much for the help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (25)
20.66%
No (96)
79.34%

Watched Threads