strhythm
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have an end of unit on Approaches tomorrow and going through some questions. I have come across this one which I've seen a few times although this time was more complicated (requiring more detail) and I'm never sure how to answer it especially when I'm just doing questions for revision and I want to answer them briefly.

2. Describe the emergence of Psychology as a science from its early philosophical roots to the 21st century.

To sum up, how would you briefly answer the question while including important events/ developments but ignoring unnecessary detail?
Tairaj
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Some things you can bring up:
- Descartes and his concept of Cartesian dualism (he established the idea that the mind can be studied)
- Locke and empiricism (gave rise to behaviourism/the idea that we don't inherit knowledge or experience)
- Darwin and evolution (biological approach!!!)
- Wundt and introspection (VERY important, since this is the first psychological lab and all)
- Freud and psychoanalysis (also important for the early spread of psychology as a science, but largely discredited)
- Watson and early behaviourism (bring up Skinner too if you want)
- Rogers/Maslow and humanism
- The invention of the computer and the emergence of the cognitive approach
- Bandura and SLT
- Technological advances in the 21st century leading to deeper study of genetics/neuroscience

I'd pick one of the philosophical roots (Locke or Descartes) and explain that they helped create the idea that the mind can be studied. From there, DEFINITELY mention Wundt, since his ideas on introspection are the first breaths of psychology. From there you explain how John Watson had issues with introspection as a method of establishing general principles. Watson and the early behaviourists like Skinner were the ones that started applying methodology from the natural sciences to early psychology. In essence, the experimental method came about because of them.
After that, I would mention the 1960s where cognitive psychologists really begin to use lab tests to study mental processes.
Finally, bring up how the recent technological advances of the 21st century have allowed more thorough study of genetics and neuroscience, which firmly places psychology as a science.

Sorry if my explanation is a bit muddled, it makes a lot more sense in my head. I'm happy to clarify anything specific if need be.
Last edited by Tairaj; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (110)
35.71%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (42)
13.64%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (19)
6.17%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (32)
10.39%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (37)
12.01%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (36)
11.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
10.39%

Watched Threads