Wales to bring in smacking ban. Watch

Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51266509

Today it was announces that after a vote passed by the Welsh assembly, Wales will bring in a smacking ban in 2022 following Scotland.

It has caused some spilts, the Conservative Parties Janet Finch Saunders stated that " the state was stepping into the private lives of families"

The legislation removes the reasonable punishment in cases of common assault. Julie Morgan, who broke a Labour whip in 2015 to suppport this, praised the move and added it could extend to shaking.

Labour and Plaid backed the law, whilst the Conservatives were split.

Should The rest of the U.K introduce this? At what point do laws of this nature cross the line from protection to getting too involved in people's lives.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Aww yes, well why not? I mean it has worked so well so far, it's not like there is a lack of discipline in the classroom or rising levels of violence, at home, at school and in the street.... oh wait...:rolleyes:
tubphonecase
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes, absolutely. Children deserve the same rights to protection from assault as adults do. If a random man came up to a child and hit them because he didn't like what they were doing, it would be totally unacceptable and he'd get in trouble, yet if the child's dad did it, it would be fine?
Teaching children that hitting those smaller and weaker than them is acceptable to get them to do what you want is not an acceptable in any way.
I instantly lose respect for anyone who would use violence on anyone defenceless, especially a child.
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Terrible idea. Children are already far too spoilt these days.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by black tea)
agreed
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by black tea)
plus how will they monitor it? can cause problems
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51266509

Today it was announces that after a vote passed by the Welsh assembly, Wales will bring in a smacking ban in 2022 following Scotland.

It has caused some spilts, the Conservative Parties Janet Finch Saunders stated that " the state was stepping into the private lives of families"

The legislation removes the reasonable punishment in cases of common assault. Julie Morgan, who broke a Labour whip in 2015 to suppport this, praised the move and added it could extend to shaking.

Labour and Plaid backed the law, whilst the Conservatives were split.

Should The rest of the U.K introduce this? At what point do laws of this nature cross the line from protection to getting too involved in people's lives.
no, absolutely not!!!
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Aww yes, well why not? I mean it has worked so well so far, it's not like there is a lack of discipline in the classroom or rising levels of violence, at home, at school and in the street.... oh wait...:rolleyes:
Care to substantiate any of this with data?
GeriatricDude
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As long as the kid isn’t getting hit with a stick they’re probably gonna be fine
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Evidence shows that physical discipline, and even verbal discipline, is not effective in either the short term or long term and is associated with later problems in life, such as depression, anxiety and, ironically, antisocial behaviour.

Based on that, I am all in favour of banning smacking.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Evidence shows that physical discipline, and even verbal discipline, is not effective in either the short term or long term and is associated with later problems in life, such as depression, anxiety and, ironically, antisocial behaviour.

The only problem is, society is getting worse since we have tried it your way.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

So you suggest kids should be allowed to do whatever they want when they are growing up without any kind of discipline?
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Boy I love the Welsh government, intervening and telling people how to parent their children.
watershower
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
i was a kid who got hit, and i’m not grateful for it. i’m one of the few who actually acknowledge that it harms your emotional and mental development. most claim they ‘turned out fine’. however, i do think this will affect ethnic minorities the most in the most negative way.

for most of these parents, it’s the only way they know. not to justify the behaviour, but it is hard to separate the abusive parents from the ones that hit as a punishment, but not impossible. most of them truly love their child and stop hitting after a certain age. i think the older you get, the more you understand that.

however, the problem is how to enforce and regulate this. what if the child is lying? (trust me, it’s happened) what if it’s not frequent and just a one off? how will they even find out? what will a sufficient punishment be? i don’t think just because you hit your child, they should be taken away from you. i don’t think it should/should have been passed..
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Aww so i should never discipline my kid then (if i were to have one)?!? and you wonder why I am not a fan of my Generation (Gen Z)
tubphonecase
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The people in this thread that think violence is synonymous with discipline is worrying.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I always find it shocking the number of people on TSR that try to justify violence against children but they would be very unlikely to justify that same violence against adults.

If you have to resort to violence in order to control and discipline your child then you have failed as a parent, violence is never the answer to discipline.

Children should be afforded the same protection from violence that we afford to both adults and even animals.
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
no, in this case, government should stay out of family business. if the kid is not being molested or getting 15th century torture, they should stay out of it.
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
I always find it shocking the number of people on TSR that try to justify violence against children but they would be very unlikely to justify that same violence against adults.

If you have to resort to violence in order to control and discipline your child then you have failed as a parent, violence is never the answer to discipline.

Children should be afforded the same protection from violence that we afford to both adults and even animals.
There’s a difference between violence and discipline
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
There’s a difference between violence and discipline
by definition, beating your kids as discipline is violence, because you're doing it with the intent to hurt.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (375)
67.2%
No (183)
32.8%

Watched Threads