Wales to bring in smacking ban. Watch

rjstubbs
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hitting your kids is always about the parents anger and never about disciplining the child. it’s not okay either way, and it allows for more extreme abuse later on. if a kid can’t understand words, they’re definitely not going to understand being hit
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by black tea)
A slap is not violence.
Physical force intended to hurt is violence by definition.

So do support violence against any other group or is it just children that deserve it?
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by tubphonecase)
Yes, absolutely. Children deserve the same rights to protection from assault as adults do. If a random man came up to a child and hit them because he didn't like what they were doing, it would be totally unacceptable and he'd get in trouble, yet if the child's dad did it, it would be fine?
Teaching children that hitting those smaller and weaker than them is acceptable to get them to do what you want is not an acceptable in any way.
I instantly lose respect for anyone who would use violence on anyone defenceless, especially a child.
There is a difference between abuse and mild discipline involving light smacking.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
There is a difference between abuse and mild discipline involving light smacking.
What is the difference of violence?
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by WoodlandSorcerer)
Wonderful legislation. Had to rub my eyes many times reading this thread because I couldn’t believe how many people think whacking and causing pain to a child is OK. It’s disgusting, as is anyone who agrees with it! There is no evidence it’s effective and SHallowvale has already linked data showing it can cause problems. There are plenty of ways to discipline a child that don’t involve physical violence.
Whacking is nit what anyone agrees with, but a light slap somewhere that will only hurt for a few seconds isn’t going to ruin anyone’s life.

I was smacked a few times for good reasons but that was it. As long as physical discipline is not your main parenting method it shouldn’t be banned.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
What is the difference of violence?
Violence implies causing harm which is not what anyone is for. A slight sting for a few seconds doesn’t go far enough for me to consider it violence/abuse.
WoodlandSorcerer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
Whacking is nit what anyone agrees with, but a light slap somewhere that will only hurt for a few seconds isn’t going to ruin anyone’s life.
If it's such a light slap that only hurts for a few seconds then what's the point of it? You're basically conceding that it's so minor that it's something you could easily do without, and you're still physically hurting your child. I'm not sure that's a good argument as someone could take it to the extreme and say "well sexually assaulting a baby for a few seconds who isn't going to remember it isn't going to ruin their life either". The point is that it's still violence and it's not shown to have any meaningful benefit, so why do it? Are people really incapable of raising a decent, well behaved child without hitting them?
Last edited by WoodlandSorcerer; 3 weeks ago
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
Violence implies causing harm which is not what anyone is for. A slight sting for a few seconds doesn’t go far enough for me to consider it violence/abuse.
So hitting people doesn't cause physical harm?

By definition it is violence. Do you support this kind of violence against anyone else, perhaps a disobedient wife? Or an unruly colleague? How about a dog?
WoodlandSorcerer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
It is violence by definition and it's clear that the purpose of the slap is to cause pain, however minor that is.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by WoodlandSorcerer)
If it's such a light slap that only hurts for a few seconds then what's the point of it? You're basically conceding that it's so minor that it's something you could easily do without, and you're still physically hurting your child. I'm not sure that's a good argument as someone could take it to the extreme and say "well sexually assaulting a baby for a few seconds who isn't going to remember it isn't going to ruin their life either". The point is that it's still violence and it's not shown to have any meaningful benefit, so why do it? Are people really incapable of raising a decent, well behaved child without hitting them?
So hitting people doesn't cause physical harm?

By definition it is violence. Do you support this kind of violence against anyone else, perhaps a disobedient wife? Or an unruly colleague? How about a dog?
You both seem to want to say every little slap is being done with full strength to leave behind a mark. A small slap can easily be used in some scenarios without causing any damage and harming people. I got slapped a few times when I was young and then I started apologising when I had to, or I stopped doing something wrong. It only happened a few times but those few times it was deserved for bad behaviour.

I don’t see why you keep expanding this out to beating adults and sexually abusing children, that is not what I have ever said I agree with and just makes your posts look like they have no thought behind them. Who could possibly say abusing a baby is ok, if that’s how you are going to respond then this exchange is over as you aren’t going to understand what I’ve tried to describe.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
You both seem to want to say every little slap is being done with full strength to leave behind a mark. A small slap can easily be used in some scenarios without causing any damage and harming people. I got slapped a few times when I was young and then I started apologising when I had to, or I stopped doing something wrong. It only happened a few times but those few times it was deserved for bad behaviour.

I don’t see why you keep expanding this out to beating adults and sexually abusing children, that is not what I have ever said I agree with and just makes your posts look like they have no thought behind them. Who could possibly say abusing a baby is ok, if that’s how you are going to respond then this exchange is over as you aren’t going to understand what I’ve tried to describe.
No, using physical force of any strength in order to cause pain is violence. That is what you are describing

I never said anything about beating, that is all you. Why do you not deem it acceptable to use the slapping against anyone other than children? I'm trying to understand what makes children a unique target of acceptable violence in your eyes.
Arthur_Morgan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That's good, I don't agree with smacking children
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No, using physical force of any strength in order to cause pain is violence. That is what you are describing

I never said anything about beating, that is all you. Why do you not deem it acceptable to use the slapping against anyone other than children? I'm trying to understand what makes children a unique target of acceptable violence in your eyes.
You mentioned an "unruly wife" alluding to wife beating. If that was not the intent then now you see what I read.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
You mentioned an "unruly wife" alluding to wife beating. If that was not the intent then now you see what I read.
Why can't you use a light slap against your wife if it as you claim "will only hurt for a few seconds isn’t going to ruin anyone’s life"?

Why do you feel wives should be protected from violence but not children?
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why can't you use a light slap against your wife if it as you claim "will only hurt for a few seconds isn’t going to ruin anyone’s life"?

Why do you feel wives should be protected from violence but not children?
I'm not pushing for everyone to start slapping children everyday, I just don't agree with the idea to ban it outright when sometimes it can be employed.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
I'm not pushing for everyone to start slapping children everyday, I just don't agree with the idea to ban it outright when sometimes it can be employed.
You are still failing to answer the question, what makes children unique to be targets of violence when all other members of society are protected from it?

It shouldn't be that hard to answer if slapping is so inconsequential in your eyes.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You are still failing to answer the question, what makes children unique to be targets of violence when all other members of society are protected from it?

It shouldn't be that hard to answer if slapping is so inconsequential in your eyes.
I'm only commenting from my own personal experience that it can be helpful and not agreeing with a total ban.
I can remember after it happening that I was less likely to act in a certain way. As an adult I can't imagine something like that working, so that's why nobody is disciplined like that and shouldn't be. A light slap though can be enough to discourage bad behaviour in children if used properly and not overdone and turned into abuse.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
I'm only commenting from my own personal experience that it can be helpful and not agreeing with a total ban.
I can remember after it happening that I was less likely to act in a certain way. As an adult I can't imagine something like that working, so that's why nobody is disciplined like that and shouldn't be. A light slap though can be enough to discourage bad behaviour in children if used properly and not overdone and turned into abuse.
Is fear a good way to control people then?
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is fear a good way to control people then?
I wouldn't describe it as fear.
Capitalist_Lamb
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I always find it shocking the number of people on TSR that try to justify violence against children but they would be very unlikely to justify that same violence against adults.

If you have to resort to violence in order to control and discipline your child then you have failed as a parent, violence is never the answer to discipline.

Children should be afforded the same protection from violence that we afford to both adults and even animals.
Have you ever heard of the police? They are the parents to adults and discipline them with physical harm if they are not doing things right. I also believe there is a strong difference between child abuse and just disciplining a child. It's sad to think that sometimes it's better to be cruel at times to be kind, disciplining in the now to help them later. I neither agree or disagree with the ruling at the time but just putting out some opinions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (364)
67.03%
No (179)
32.97%

Watched Threads