Is crying a sign of weakness in a man? Watch

ThuggerThugger
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m old school tbh, not really connected with this new generation who get upset and offended about everything. I was born and raised in the early 90s where boys were taught to “man up” very early on. Now I personally am not a crier, granted I get “upset” but tears do not fall.. if I saw a man crying I’d probably wonder why, and assume it must be something devastating like death related, but if he turned round and said he’s crying because someone offended him I’d definitely think he was weak.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It depends on the situation.

Ok- if it involves something serious like being subjected to multiple vicious hate crimes, very painful injury sustained in a terrorist attack and bereavement.
But a sign that he is a spineless jerk if he's crying because: someone disagreed with his opinion, forgot his birthday or his favourite team/boxer lost the match.
6 God
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
It depends on the situation.

Ok- if it involves something serious like being subjected to multiple vicious hate crimes, very painful injury sustained in a terrorist attack and bereavement.
But a sign that he is a spineless jerk if he's crying because: someone disagreed with his opinion, forgot his birthday or his favourite team/boxer lost the match.
How about if he found out his girlfriend cheated on him?
Tairaj
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I personally think anyone who cries about being offended is weak: I mean, if you're so offended just say so and explain why.
Crying is generally a good way to release pent up emotion, so if someone's cracking under the pressure of life or something, then it's totally acceptable to cry. Being allowed to feel emotion and express it is much healthier than bottling it all up.

(Original post by 6 God)
Crying may be a bit much but I'd say it's a valid response when someone you thought loved you has just done something so horrible. Being cheated on makes you feel worthless and less of a person, so you can't be blamed for shedding a tear about it.
ibby68
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It is and it isn’t. When I was younger I used to box and I remember I got really emotional cause this guy kept beating me up and I thought I was lot better than him.was kindve embarrassing looking back but people didn’t really see it as a sign of weakness because I was like 14. It depends really on the context,age etc.But now if I cried ppl would probably cringe.
Last edited by ibby68; 4 weeks ago
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm more likely to weep about something touching or sad on the telly than I am at a death. I haven't really cried at a familial death for a good 20 years.

Not exactly a tart meself
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Crying isn't weak regardless of gender. It's a natural way of reacting to something. Never understood the whole 'man up' thing.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 6 God)
Depends if she ran off with his money, brother or father too and he was left to break the news to mother.
I didn't cry when I found out that my bf was a sordid sociopath, whose hobbies included threesomes with sex workers and not telling me he was std infected. Too angry and revolted.
6 God
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Tairaj)
I personally think anyone who cries about being offended is weak: I mean, if you're so offended just say so and explain why.
Crying is generally a good way to release pent up emotion, so if someone's cracking under the pressure of life or something, then it's totally acceptable to cry. Being allowed to feel emotion and express it is much healthier than bottling it all up.

Crying may be a bit much but I'd say it's a valid response when someone you thought loved you has just done something so horrible. Being cheated on makes you feel worthless and less of a person, so you can't be blamed for shedding a tear about it.
Agreed. I’d be devastated. There is pretty much no valid excuse for cheating on someone and it’s one of the most hurtful things you could do. Hence, i would acc be surprised if someone didn’t cry upon hearing my such news at one point or another.
Last edited by 6 God; 4 weeks ago
6 God
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Depends if she ran off with his money, brother or father too and he was left to break the news to mother.
I didn't cry when I found out that my bf was a sordid sociopath, whose hobbies included threesomes with sex workers and not telling me he was std infected. Too angry and revolted.
Would you say you loved him at the time? Some people find it hard to be angry at people they love no matter what they do, hence releasing their emotions as sadness and crying instead.
6 God
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Also I’d say that’s not your average breakup
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Crying isn't weak regardless of gender. It's a natural way of reacting to something. Never understood the whole 'man up' thing.
Wait until you have to spend 30mins with a 21+ crybaby who stays home all day and sobs whenever his coffee gets cold or he loses a video game. :eek4:
By the 5th time you'll feel like tattooing "MAN UP!" on his forehead and both wrists.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 6 God)
Would you say you loved him at the time? Some people find it hard to be angry at people they love no matter what they do, hence releasing their emotions as sadness and crying instead.
Yes.
But I was livid and sickened.
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
(Original post by 6 God)
Not worth crying over, a true non-millennial man should trust no hoe.
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
I like how the 90s were the time of the real man.
Another backwards thread by the OP.
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Wait until you have to spend 30mins with a 21+ crybaby who stays home all day and sobs whenever his coffee gets cold or he loses a video game. :eek4:
By the 5th time you'll feel like tattooing "MAN UP!" on his forehead and both wrists.
THAT I can agree with is over the top. :lol:
It depends on the situation I suppose haha, I'd happily tell a woman to man up too if she was crying over a cold coffee.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 6 God)
Also I’d say that’s not your average breakup
I hope not.
He's still referring to me as his gf and stalking me nearly six years later. :hide:
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
I’m old school tbh, not really connected with this new generation who get upset and offended about everything. I was born and raised in the early 90s where boys were taught to “man up” very early on. Now I personally am not a crier, granted I get “upset” but tears do not fall.. if I saw a man crying I’d probably wonder why, and assume it must be something devastating like death related, but if he turned round and said he’s crying because someone offended him I’d definitely think he was weak.

yes and no

There are certain things that women tend to cry about in certain situations that if a man acted the same way he'd be branded a pansy
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 6 God)
Agreed. I’d be devastated. There is pretty much no valid excuse for cheating on someone and it’s one of the most hurtful things you could do. Hence, i would acc be surprised if someone didn’t cry upon hearing my such news at one point or another.
I just went on a 3 day bender, no tears required
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidgetFever)
I respect your opinion on this, however it really is.. you have to appreciate that if you are going to cry over trivial things, that makes you weak as a person. Life is not plain sailing unfortunately and I think “cryers” are those who can’t handle this fact. Crying makes you vulnerable. We probably live in two different worlds to be fair, but I know if I were to walk around crying and people knew me as a “cryer” I would bet my life on it that it would make me a target.
Last edited by ThuggerThugger; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (363)
59.12%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.37%
No- I want it (174)
28.34%
No- I don't want it (44)
7.17%

Watched Threads

Latest