Africa in just 16 countries

Watch
Ferrograd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
https://imgur.com/a/ZAIlNUv

This would be a much better way of running Africa.

Yes, I know there are tribal differences which is why when the British and French left Africa it plunged into chaos. But these new countries could work together as federations or confederations and lead to economic growth. I'll explain my justification for the borders and new states.

Firstly, the Maghreb Arab Republic consisting off Libya, Tunisia and Algeria, Mauritania. Obviously some stability would probably be needed in Libya for this to work. Virtually no problem with this as all countires in question are Arab-Berber with the same language, culture, religion and geography.

Chad - who even knows/cares? The Maghreb can just annex it but it doesn't really have much to be gained so I left it independent.

Nigeria - "Greater Nigeria" - it annexes Niger to the north. Sparsely populated country. Nigeria's population is rapidly expanding, will be one of the biggest countries in the world in terms of population by the end of the century. Will make lots of new s pace for housing etc.

Kingdom of Morocco - basically just Morocco and their claims on Western Sahara. Nothing more to be said.

Egypt-Sudan - basically just Egypt and Sudan. Sudan and Egypt have always been closely linked and were once one country. Both share same language and religion.

East African Federation - this already exists, but not as a state. Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, South Sudan, Kenya Uganda, Maritius, Cosmoros. All (basically) speak English, similar ethnic groups, all mostly Christian.

West African Federation - similar to the EAF but for the west coast. Includes Guinea Bissau, The Gambia, Senegal, Cote D'Ivorie, Mali, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Ghana, Togo, Benin,Burkina Faso. Probably the most problematic of all the countries and in reality would serve as a union of autonomous or semi autonomous republics, a similar system to Bosnia-Herzegovnia with both Muslim and Christian leaders.

Central African Federation (CAF) - Both Congo's, Central African Republic, Cameroon, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea.All subsaharan African countries with similar ethnic groups, mostly Christian, lots of natural resources.

South African Federation - "Greater South Africa". Includes South Africa, Lesotho and Swaziland, Zambia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Angola,Malawi, Namibia. All share a similar culture, have both whites and blacks, some are very well developed like Namibia and South Africa, and most share the s ame language, English, Portugese and Afrikaans as well as the other african languages.

Madagascar - could join SAF but due to its distance it will remain independent.

It's not an ideal plan, but if you wanted to simplify Africa and merge countries for stronger economies and more unity, this would be the way to do it. I could make another c ountry or two but waned to do it in the s mallest number
Last edited by Ferrograd; 2 months ago
PotatoFruit
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If think it will make the problem worse since there will just be more different tribes in a country to fight over government. Instead smaller countries are needed. You make it out as if these countries don’t have enough resources, but they do, they just don’t have good leadership.
Lenaa_x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
no...just no xD
The main problem in africa is the corruption and lack of good leadership, combining countries won't solve this. Building a strong economy and unity does not come in the form of abolishing countries and putting them under the same name lmao.

A country isn't just defined by its geography or common religion or the common language, but its culture and history. These 'countries' you've proposed will not be able to function well, if at all because they are too different.

Also you have to remember the element of pride. How can you just get rid of the other countries? It just won't go down well trust me lol
watershower
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
africa is one of the most corrupted continents with extremely prideful leaders. how in the world will you be able to make them join together AND collaborate well? recipe for disaster.
Justvisited
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Where are Ethiopia, Somalia and Djibouti?
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
(Original post by Justvisited)
Where are Ethiopia, Somalia and Djibouti?
Forgot to mention them, they're all independent except Dijbouti which is part of Somalia.
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lenaa_x)
no...just no xD
The main problem in africa is the corruption and lack of good leadership, combining countries won't solve this. Building a strong economy and unity does not come in the form of abolishing countries and putting them under the same name lmao.

A country isn't just defined by its geography or common religion or the common language, but its culture and history. These 'countries' you've proposed will not be able to function well, if at all because they are too different.

Also you have to remember the element of pride. How can you just get rid of the other countries? It just won't go down well trust me lol
It's a theoretical concept.

There is no "pride", not real anyway. Nation states are a European concept, there was no such thing as say "Nigeria" until the 1960s.

Only real exception I would say would be something like Ethiopia which had been independent for hundreds of years,s hence why it is a nation of its own
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
(Original post by watershower)
africa is one of the most corrupted continents with extremely prideful leaders. how in the world will you be able to make them join together AND collaborate well? recipe for disaster.
no...just no xD

The only country I think I should have made into two was the West African Federation; Mali is quite different to the other countries. But the others like the EAF- their history and culture is very similar. As is the same for the South African Federation and the Maghreb Arab Republic
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YFX...ew?usp=sharing

This is the map, I will proabbly alter it slightly
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
EDIT: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l7-...ew?usp=sharing

So lets update-
Firstly, the Maghreb Arab Republic consisting off Libya, Tunisia and Algeria, Mauritania. Obviously some stability would probably be needed in Libya for this to work. Virtually no problem with this as all countires in question are Arab-Berber with the same language, culture, religion and geography.

Chad - who even knows/cares? The Maghreb can just annex it but it doesn't really have much to be gained so I left it independent.

Egypt-Sudan - What it says on the tin

Kingdom of Morocco - Morocco including its claim on Western Sahara

Eritrea - No change.

Ethiopia - still exists.

Nigeria - Ghana - so Nigeria annexes niger, but also includes the christian states of ghana, liberia and cote d'ivorie. mostly english except french speakers in cote d'ivorie. Run as a federation; all Republics - Nigeria-Niger, Ivory Coast State, Liberia, Ghana have autonomy, Guinea

West African Islamic Republic - Mali, Sierra Leone, Senegambia, Burkina Faso, Guinea Bissau

Equatorial Central Africa - all the countries near equator. CAR, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Cameroon.

United Republic of the Congo - includes both congos.

Angola - the same.

Mozambique - the same.

Somalia - includes somaliland and the Cosmoros.

South African Federation - includes SA, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Malwai Lesotho swaziland./

East African Federation - this already exists, but not as a state. Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, South Sudan, Kenya Uganda, Maritius, Cosmoros. All (basically) speak English, similar ethnic groups, all mostly Christian.

Madagascar - the same.
Wōden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by PotatoFruit)
If think it will make the problem worse since there will just be more different tribes in a country to fight over government. Instead smaller countries are needed. You make it out as if these countries don’t have enough resources, but they do, they just don’t have good leadership.
no...just no xD

Hang on just one minute. Are you two trying to insinuate that diversity is not a strength, and may in fact be a constant source of instability, social distrust and ethnic conflict?
Lenaa_x
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
It's a theoretical concept.

There is no "pride", not real anyway. Nation states are a European concept, there was no such thing as say "Nigeria" until the 1960s.

Only real exception I would say would be something like Ethiopia which had been independent for hundreds of years,s hence why it is a nation of its own
Yeah i know its a theoretical concept but I'm saying its a bad one :P

Yes but I meant pride in a way that (regardless of the fact that countries are just a social construct) the general public wouldn't be keen on their country just being abolished.
Lenaa_x
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Wōden)
Hang on just one minute. Are you two trying to insinuate that diversity is not a strength, and may in fact be a constant source of instability, social distrust and ethnic conflict?
i would never
PotatoFruit
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Wōden)
Well in some cases, yes
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would oppose any African Union personally.

Although not as alien to us culturally as Arabs Nigeria and the East African Federation represent long term threats to western hegemony and late in the century may have the wealth and population to be so.

While i wish them prosperity, when it comes to global geopolitics the rule 'divide and conquer' is apt. It is why in hindsight it may prove a mistake to have created a unified India.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm sure they'd react really really well to outsiders - especially Brits - dictating how their countries should work :nah:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (111)
28.03%
No (285)
71.97%

Watched Threads