AbbieJenna
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I'm currently studying games design at Sheffield Hallam and I really want to become a games teacher at college however for this I need a PGCE degree. My teacher suggested I either apply for a teaching job and study the PGCE during (which I didn't know was possible??) Or to do a PGCE masters degree. I was wondering how many hours a week do PGCE students spend in classes (BA or MA)? Do SFE offer a maintenance loan for these students? And is there a work placement during this course? it says on our website that we have to do 120 days in a placement but it wasn't clear, plus I normally only spend that same amount in classes.
Thanks in advance
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AbbieJenna)
So I'm currently studying games design at Sheffield Hallam and I really want to become a games teacher at college however for this I need a PGCE degree. My teacher suggested I either apply for a teaching job and study the PGCE during (which I didn't know was possible??) Or to do a PGCE masters degree. I was wondering how many hours a week do PGCE students spend in classes (BA or MA)? Do SFE offer a maintenance loan for these students? And is there a work placement during this course? it says on our website that we have to do 120 days in a placement but it wasn't clear, plus I normally only spend that same amount in classes.
Thanks in advance
A typical university-led pgce consists of 60 days in uni and 120 days in placement.
It is very full on and intense so treat it like a full-time job. Days in uni are usually 9-4 while placements are 8-5 (not including travelling). On top of that, there is planning lessons and doing assignments etc.
And yes there you can get both tuition and maintenance loans for it.
AbbieJenna
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
A typical university-led pgce consists of 60 days in uni and 120 days in placement.
It is very full on and intense so treat it like a full-time job. Days in uni are usually 9-4 while placements are 8-5 (not including travelling). On top of that, there is planning lessons and doing assignments etc.
And yes there you can get both tuition and maintenance loans for it.
Okay, thanks for your help!
Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AbbieJenna)
Thanks in advance
Hi AbbieJenna,

Seeing as you are studying at Hallam why don't you come along to our Get Into Teaching event on Wednesday 26th February 4pm-7pm. You can book onto this here. You can find out more about our PGCE courses, all the routes available, how to apply, what funding there is and meet teacher training providers from across South Yorkshire

Let me know if you have any further questions
- Ella
AbbieJenna
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sheffield Hallam University)
Hi AbbieJenna,

Seeing as you are studying at Hallam why don't you come along to our Get Into Teaching event on Wednesday 26th February 4pm-7pm. You can book onto this here. You can find out more about our PGCE courses, all the routes available, how to apply, what funding there is and meet teacher training providers from across South Yorkshire

Let me know if you have any further questions
- Ella
That sounds very helpful, I'll check it out, thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (492)
59.56%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.21%
No- I want it (235)
28.45%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.78%

Watched Threads