Anonymous8898
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I’m doing 2 Highers and 2 Advanced Highers. Failed a higher and an advanced higher prelim. It is really making me very anxious as I’ve never failed before. How do I get back up and turn it around for the exam? Btw failed H Maths and AH science.
pszsd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous8898)
I’m doing 2 Highers and 2 Advanced Highers. Failed a higher and an advanced higher prelim. It is really making me very anxious as I’ve never failed before. How do I get back up and turn it around for the exam? Btw failed H Maths and AH science.
Don't be anxious. Failing two subjects of the same type is quite good actually, because it shows that you don't have the formulaic memorisation capacity that both those subjects require and so it's only one area of improvement you really need to aim for. Maths and science rarely has actually applying questions, they are moreso just "flex your knowledge as hard as you can" which also good signs since you can just focus on memorisation, again.

1. Go to every single after-school class for those subjects.
2. Hammer those past papers to gain confidence
3. Don't be afraid of hopping into your classrooms or wherever you teachers are at break and lunch to really nail down your weaknesses
4. Get close to your teachers - get along with them - the more you appreciate and understand them, the better you will learn

If I helped, np.If I didn't help, tell me G'day.

Last thing: you are capable, don't think otherwise. The very fact that you've been allowed to sit those subjects at those levels shows that everyone around you has faith in you to pass.
Anonymous8898
Rep:
?
(Original post by pszsd)
Don't be anxious. Failing two subjects of the same type is quite good actually, because it shows that you don't have the formulaic memorisation capacity that both those subjects require and so it's only one area of improvement you really need to aim for. Maths and science rarely has actually applying questions, they are moreso just "flex your knowledge as hard as you can" which also good signs since you can just focus on memorisation, again.

1. Go to every single after-school class for those subjects.
2. Hammer those past papers to gain confidence
3. Don't be afraid of hopping into your classrooms or wherever you teachers are at break and lunch to really nail down your weaknesses
4. Get close to your teachers - get along with them - the more you appreciate and understand them, the better you will learn

If I helped, np.If I didn't help, tell me G'day.

Last thing: you are capable, don't think otherwise. The very fact that you've been allowed to sit those subjects at those levels shows that everyone around you has faith in you to pass.
Thanks!
xelliexx223
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Make sure you do a lot of past papers and do every single topic from the beginning and make sure you understand and learn it fully.
Ask your teacher for help.
Good luck!
Anonymous8898
Rep:
?
(Original post by xelliexx223)
Make sure you do a lot of past papers and do every single topic from the beginning and make sure you understand and learn it fully.
Ask your teacher for help.
Good luck!
Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (385)
67.19%
No (188)
32.81%

Watched Threads