Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Last edited by username3859110; 7 months ago
SFE Aaron
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Overchipped)
Erm... shouldn’t this have been approved by a moderator by now ?
Hi, if you have any questions regarding the STEM courses for 20/21, feel free to ask them and we can answer them for you? Thanks, Aaron.
username3859110
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
SFE Aaron
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I received funding for a degree in Business with International Management BA (Hons). I used the extra year of funding from the +1 rule due to a repeated year, achieved the award. I have seen a part time STEM exception course that uses the “I” JACS course identifier. It’s a Computing and IT BSc (Hons) via the OU.

I am a disabled student. I suffer from agoraphobia, this prevents me from physically travelling to and attending university in person.

What evidence of this condition and my abilities are required when I submit an application for funding, why is this evidence required?

Also, can you tell me how often I will have to submit this evidence, the course can take between 6 - 8 years - will I be expected to gain medical evidence and university correspondence confirming their inability to provide reasonable adjustments each year etc...

...or, as with DSAs, will my maintenance loan entitlement be given for the duration of the course based on the initial evidence. I would find it to be quite stressful having to repeatedly seek evidence, nor would it give me any sense of security that funding wouldn’t be refused in future years.

Finally, given my eligibility for the maintenance loan, will I be assessed for the support component too, and can you confirm whether this is the standard award calculated using course velocity, or it adjusted to reflect the distance learning method?
Hi, in order to be assessed for some help towards living costs, we'll need to see evidence that you can't attend a course in person due to a disability. The evidence required is as follows:

- Medical evidence from your GP or Consultant confirming your condition prevents you from travelling to/from your university, as well as physically attending.
- Evidence that you have had discussions with multiple universities about the facilities available, accessibility and why the universities cannot accommodate your requirements. This could be in the form of emails/correspondence between you and the universities.
- Written confirmation from you on how your condition impacts your day-to-day life.
- Evidence from you showing how you support yourself financially i.e. benefits/employment.

Please send your evidence to Student Finance England, PO Box 210, Darlington, DL1 9HJ.

We may ask for evidence each academic year but this entirely depends on the evidence we do receive and if we can clearly see that this is a long term condition. Thanks, Aaron.
username3859110
Rep:
?
SFE Aaron
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Aaron.

Thank you for the information. I am sure the medical evidence won't be an issue, nor the information from myself but to clarify, will I need to have the same conversation with institutions each year - is this to check if they could have made made reasonable adjustments or whether new accommodations could be made for me in the future ?

I just want to make sure that I am getting the right information from the universities; many appear to offer leniency toward attendance, but draw the line where it might impact other students.
Hi, I do not think you will need to have the same conversations and if we do ask for evidence in following years, it would be more in relation to the medical evidence but if it clearly shows that this is a long term issue then we should be able to use this for the course. Thanks, Aaron.
username3859110
Rep:
?
SFE Aaron
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I see. Thank you for the response.
You’re welcome. If you do have any further questions feel free to contact us again. Thanks, Aaron.
username3859110
Rep:
?
Amy SFE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi. I have had a further look at two courses available via the Open University, however they are using a different JACS code to those I have come to understand are permissible when considering whether a course is an exception course, or not.

The BSc (Honours) Computing and IT course and BSc (Honours) Computing and IT (Communication and Networking) course, both have course codes that start with Q - can you confirm whether I would be eligible for support for these courses given that they are both Computing courses which are related to Technology.

Thanks.
Hi there,

The courses for the 20/21 academic have not been uploaded onto the Course Management System for the Open University as of yet. However, the course above BSc (Honours) Computing and IT was an exception course for the 19/20 Academic Year.

Thanks, Amy
username3859110
Rep:
?
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Amy,

Did that apply to the Communication and Networking variant too ?

I was wondering whether you could tell me if an April start date with a March enrolment this year would be considered a 19/20 entry or a 20/21 entry - it would hypothetically be for one of the courses with exemption status named above.

Thanks,

Ben
Hi Ben, there is no "Communication and Networking" course on the database for the Open University.
Starting the course in April 2020 is in the 2019/20 academic year. The 20/21 academic year begins after August 2020.
Thanks, Isaac.
username3859110
Rep:
?
Duncan SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, it was the BSc (Honours) Computing and IT (Communications and Networking) listed on the OU website which I wondered whether was listed as an exemption course in the 2019/20 academic year.

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/fees-a...qualifications

If I were to gain a place on an exemption course in April of 2020, I understand it would be considered the 2019/20 academic year - does that means in terms of finance, if I were assessed for the part time maintenance loan due to undertaking the course because of a disability, when assessing household income, which financial year would be used to determine the level of loan available ?
Hi,

I've checked our database and I can't find Computing and IT (Communications and Networking) as a course we fund but I can find computing and IT which is eligible for funding as a 2nd degree. If you wished to have your application income assessed, we'd use your household income from the 17/18 academic year.

Regards, Duncan
username3859110
Rep:
?
SFE Ashley
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I appreciate the answer, Duncan. I have logged into my student finance account, and in relation to providing evidence that study is being carried out due to a disability, there is only one drop down menu option listed as "needs assessment report" - there is no option to select the information types that have been stated at the top of this thread. Given that this is the evidence I wanted to submit, as directed by SFE - exactly how do I progress with this part of the application progress. This drop down menu is listed under the "providing evidence" section of my account.

Thanks,

Ben
Hi Ben,

You will not be able to upload your evidence on to your online account. You'll need to send us your evidence through the post to the following address:

Student Finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington
DL1 9HJ

Thanks, Ashley.
username3859110
Rep:
?
SFE Dean
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for the reply, Ashley. I will make sure that I will send the information I have to the address above. I also have a query about a DSA Slim form that I received in the post.

I can see that the full version of the form states that full time undergraduates who have applied for a maintenance loan and tuition fee loan should use the DSA Slim Form. Under this section however, it then indicates that part-time graduates should use the DSA1 form.

Given that I hope to undertake a part time course, but want to apply for maintenance support due to undertaking the course via a distance learning method because of a disability, should I be filling out the DSA Slim Form that I received in the post, or the full version DSA1 Form ?

I hope this query is clear and appreciate the help in advance.

Regards,

Ben
Hello Ben,

Part time students have to complete the full version of the DSA form found here - http://ow.ly/ufhR30nPkkI

This is the form for a 2019/20 academic year start course. If your part time course starts April, we'd advise completing the full form.

Regards, Dean.
username3859110
Rep:
?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.08%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.63%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.93%
I need help with my personal statement (58)
40.85%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.35%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.11%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed