The Student Room Group

Life

I am 22 years old and I have no idea what to do with my life. Because of his, I am depressed, motivation and have no direction in life.

I just feel so down at the moment, it's hard to focus properly right now. I have no one to turn to for advice, no one understands and just thinks I am lazy etc.

I live with my parents, but I don't want to be living with my parents, I would much rather be out in the real world on my own living an independent life. I feel like a ****ing loser to be 22 , living at home with parents and unemployed, it's a **** situation to be in but people don't understand when you have a mental illness how hard it is on a person.

Sometimes I just feel like crying. I am a grown 22 year old girl and I want to cry. I have almost zero social life, no friends because I have grown apart and distanced myself from people, so I pretty much live in solitude 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Do I want this life? Of course I don't, but I don't know how to change. Each day, week, month seems to pass so fast and next thing I am a year older with still no direction.

I am frustrated and annoyed at myself too for not changing, but it's hard when you have nothing worthwhile or good in your life. Very little family, hardly any friends, no boyfriend or even female acquaintances, no job, no career or life goals etc.

What do I do? All I can do is ask questions on here to a bunch of strangers who don't really know, nor care too much, but I have no one else to turn to.
Original post by Pretty loner
I am 22 years old and I have no idea what to do with my life. Because of his, I am depressed, motivation and have no direction in life.

I just feel so down at the moment, it's hard to focus properly right now. I have no one to turn to for advice, no one understands and just thinks I am lazy etc.

I live with my parents, but I don't want to be living with my parents, I would much rather be out in the real world on my own living an independent life. I feel like a ****ing loser to be 22 , living at home with parents and unemployed, it's a **** situation to be in but people don't understand when you have a mental illness how hard it is on a person.

Sometimes I just feel like crying. I am a grown 22 year old girl and I want to cry. I have almost zero social life, no friends because I have grown apart and distanced myself from people, so I pretty much live in solitude 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Do I want this life? Of course I don't, but I don't know how to change. Each day, week, month seems to pass so fast and next thing I am a year older with still no direction.

I am frustrated and annoyed at myself too for not changing, but it's hard when you have nothing worthwhile or good in your life. Very little family, hardly any friends, no boyfriend or even female acquaintances, no job, no career or life goals etc.

What do I do? All I can do is ask questions on here to a bunch of strangers who don't really know, nor care too much, but I have no one else to turn to.

I'm guessing you have depression? It's really hard to "get going" in life when you have it (believe me I know!). Deep down you know you should be changing and doing stuff but doing that in reality with no motivation is near impossible.

What I do is I just force myself. I force myself to go to the gym. I force myself to read more. I force myself to get work experience. I force myself to save more money.
Even though my brain and my heart just keep yelling at me "No! Stop trying. There's no point to anything. Be fat and depressed" I just ignore it. Eventually they change.

I know this probably won't be satisfying. But I wasted so many years just "waiting" until my mindset changed. When in reality you just have to force yourself to do stuff, and THEN your mindset changes. It's very easy to just get stuck in a rut.

So, think about what you really want in life (i.e what you'll regret not doing). Even if it's something quite trivial. For example, I really want to visit Chile. So I'm working and saving money to go towards it. That's what motivates me. At somepoint in life I would like a family. So I try and keep in shape mentally and physically so I can attract people. Etc. These are quite small stuff but meaning is within !

Quick Reply

Latest