Brocc'N'Roll : BruisedBroccoli's Scottish GYG Watch

BruisedBroccoli
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Heya Everyone! :ciao:

A wee bit background:
I've been fighting with myself over whether to start a gyg for a good while now and I've finally come to the conclusion that now's the time. I've just finished my Advanced Higher prelims (mocks for you lot who aren't in Scotland) , and am hoping that doing a gyg will help keep me motivated through to exam season and (hopefully ) provide a fun academic turnaround story!

So... let's begin

The subjects I'm taking:
Spoiler:
Show

- Advanced Higher History

- Advanced Higher Biology

- Advanced Higher Chemistry

Grades I want this year:
Spoiler:
Show

three A1s would be nice :lolz:

I really want to prove to myself that I'm capable of performing well academically (the past year has been rough and knocked my confidence a bit, so it'd be nice to do better than the bare minimum I need for uni).

Realistically, I'll probably need around BBB (see uni section ).

Previous Grades:
Spoiler:
Show

N5: AAAAAAAA

Highers: AAAAB

Advanced Highers: ???

Grades I got in my prelims:
Spoiler:
Show

So here's the fun part:

AH History - D (40%) :afraid:
AH Biology - C (55%) :bawling:
AH Chemistry - D (40%) :argh:

Yeah. I know. That's a real bad set of results. But, I've still got time to make some improvements!

I'll probably use my next post to explain the stories behind my prelim results, but that's for later .

(I was predicted AAB by the way, so you imagine how well all this went down in my school!)

University :adore::
Spoiler:
Show

I'm wanting to study medicine, so my ucas was sent off in in October and I just had my last interview a week ago . Now I'm waiting to hear if I'll receive an offer :crossedf: (the standard offer for my courses is around BBB). If I don't get an offer I'll be taking a gap year and re-applying, so I will still need BBB or above to stand a chance (no pressure)!

The Uni courses I applied to are:

Dundee Medicine - Interview

St. Andrews Medicine - Interview - Offer (BBB)

Aberdeen Medicine - Interview

Edinburgh Medicine - Rejected Pre-Interview
Last edited by BruisedBroccoli; 6 days ago
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by BruisedBroccoli)
Heya Everyone! :ciao:

A wee bit background:
I've been fighting with myself over whether to start a gyg for a good while now and I've finally come to the conclusion that now's the time. I've just finished my Advanced Higher prelims (mocks for you lot who aren't in Scotland) , and am hoping that doing a gyg will help keep me motivated through to exam season and (hopefully ) provide a fun academic turnaround story!

So... let's begin

The subjects I'm taking:
Spoiler:
Show

- Advanced Higher History

- Advanced Higher Biology

- Advanced Higher Chemistry

Grades I want this year:
Spoiler:
Show

three A1s would be nice :lolz:

I really want to prove to myself that I'm capable of performing well academically (the past year has been rough and knocked my confidence a bit, so it'd be nice to do better than the bare minimum I need for uni).

Realistically, I'll probably need around BBB (see uni section ).

Previous Grades:
Spoiler:
Show

N5: AAAAAAAA

Highers: AAAAB

Advanced Highers: ???

Grades I got in my prelims:
Spoiler:
Show

So here's the fun part:

AH History - D (40%) :afraid:
AH Biology - C (55%) :bawling:
AH Chemistry - D (40%) :argh:

Yeah. I know. That's a real bad set of results. But, I've still got time to make some improvements!

I'll probably use my next post to explain the stories behind my prelim results, but that's for later .

(I was predicted AAB by the way, so you imagine how well all this went down in my school!)

University :adore::
Spoiler:
Show

I'm wanting to study medicine, so my ucas was sent off in in October and I just had my last interview a week ago . So now I'm waiting to hear if I'll receive an offer :crossedf: (the standard offer for my courses is around BBB). If I don't get an offer I'll be taking a gap year and re-applying, so I will still need BBB or above to stand a chance (no pressure)!

The Uni courses I applied to are:

Dundee Medicine - Interview

St. Andrews Medicine - Interview

Aberdeen Medicine - Interview

Edinburgh Medicine - Rejected Pre-Interview
:woo: For a Scottish GYG! If you're doing a quote/tag list for your updates, feel free to add me
BruisedBroccoli
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
29.01.20 & 30.01.20 + weekend plans

The last two days haven't been nearly as productive as they needed to be. I made good use of some study periods while working on my history dissertation (Mr Marr's history website is an absolute life saver) but when I got home from school I just ended up drinking tea, listening to music and watching tictoks (don't judge ). So overall not too great .

In chemistry we're currently working through the organic section of the course, which is going fine. I've been paying extra attention to make good notes which I plan to type up this weekend. I've started my project but only just began my experiment before christmas, so I might pop into the chemistry department and spend my free periods catching up on it tomorrow.

In history our progress has been pretty slow - we've had a cover teacher for the past few days. I need to start making some finalised notes (that can eventually be turned into essay plans) on the topics we've already covered but I'm going to put that off until at least the half term holiday. I'm behind on my dissertation and most of my class have produced full first drafts already (4000 words) while I'm only on just over 1000 words - so that's going to be the main focus of my weekend. I'd be super happy if I could get anywhere near a first draft by monday.

In biology all our teaching time has been turned into free time to work on our projects, which is great . I think I may have decided on the topic of my project so I need to start running pilot studies next week (which I'm going to have to plan over the weekend - yay). I've also got a set of flashcards to finish so hopefully I find some time to do that as well.

My Weekend Goals:
- Get my history dissertation to ~3000 words.
- Finish my biology flashcards on proteins.
- Plan my biology project pilot studies.
- Type up my organic chemistry notes.

Taglist:
Labrador99
Last edited by BruisedBroccoli; 2 weeks ago
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
29.01.20 & 30.01.20 +weekendplans

The last two days haven't been nearly as productive as they needed to be. I made good use of some study periods while working on my history dissertation (Mr Marr's history website is an absolute life saver) but when I got home from school I just ended up drinking tea, listening to music and watching tictoks (don't judge ). So overall not too great .

In chemistry we're currently working through the organic section of the course, which is going fine. I've been paying extra attention to make good notes which I plan to type up this weekend. I've started my project but only just began my experiment before christmas, so I might pop into the chemistry department and spend my free periods catching up on it tomorrow.

In history our progress has been pretty slow - we've had a cover teacher for the past few days. I need to start making some finalised notes (that can eventually be turned into essay plans) on the topics we've already covered but I'm going to put that off until at least the half term holiday. I'm behind on my dissertation and most of my class have produced full first drafts already (4000 words) while I'm only on just over 1000 words - so that's going to be the main focus of my weekend. I'd be super happy if I could get anywhere near a first draft by monday.

In biology all our teaching time has been turned into free time to work on our projects, which is great . I think I may have decided on the topic of my project so I need to start running pilot studies next week (which I'm going to have to plan over the weekend - yay). I've also got a set of flashcards to finish so hopefully I find some time to do that as well.

My Weekend Goals:
- Get my history dissertation to ~3000 words.
- Finish my biology flashcards on proteins.
- Plan my biology project pilot studies.
- Type up my organic chemistry notes.

Taglist:
Labrador99
Don't be too hard on yourself about those unproductive days, but hope that you have a productive weekend
BruisedBroccoli
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Heloha! (hello + aloha?)

It's been a pretty crazy week (and few days) since I last posted (I promise I didn't forget that I was doing a gyg!) but I'm back (though this is just a quick update post).

My biggest news is that I was given an offer by St Andrews . It's for BBB and I am so excited. It's my top choice and the anxiety of waiting (for any offer) was slowly killing me. So, I now know exactly what I'm going to need to get into uni (and it feels achievable :cool:). Anyway, I'll skip over the other details of the past week and just jump straight into my plans for the next few days (I'm on half term )!

Today (this afternoon):
- Some chill work on my history dissertation. I've rewrote the first 1000 words of my dissertation four times now, and I'm just starting to like it - hopefully the next 3000 words won't take as long :crossedf:.

Thursday:
- I'm pretty busy tomorrow, I've got a social thing in the afteroon so I'll only have the morning to study. I'm just planning to continue with my dissertation - even if I only wrote a hundred words I'd count it as a productive day (ish).

Friday:
- I have the entire day free to do work (yay?). I'll need to do a wee bit of dissertation stuff, but I'd really like to spend time working on my chemistry and biology project reports. If I got a chance to type up some essay notes for history that'd be great too (we have an essay to write next week and I'd like to be prepared, unlike in my prelim ).

The Weekend:
- I'm fairly free so I should get lots done. I'm not going to make any specific study plans yet (a lot can change over two days). If I was to make a prediction though, I'll probably be panicking over my dissertation (which I won't have done enough of) and will have realised I have some major piece of homework due that I had forgot existed.

I'll check back in with my progress in a few hours .
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Heloha! (hello + aloha?)

It's been a pretty crazy week (and few days) since I last posted (I promise I didn't forget that I was doing a gyg!) but I'm back (though this is just a quick update post).

My biggest news is that I was given an offer by St Andrews . It's for BBB and I am so excited. It's my top choice and the anxiety of waiting (for any offer) was slowly killing me. So, I now know exactly what I'm going to need to get into uni (and it feels achievable :cool:). Anyway, I'll skip over the other details of the past week and just jump straight into my plans for the next few days (I'm on half term )!

Today (this afternoon):
- Some chill work on my history dissertation. I've rewrote the first 1000 words of my dissertation four times now, and I'm just starting to like it - hopefully the next 3000 words won't take as long :crossedf:.

Thursday:
- I'm pretty busy tomorrow, I've got a social thing in the afteroon so I'll only have the morning to study. I'm just planning to continue with my dissertation - even if I only wrote a hundred words I'd count it as a productive day (ish).

Friday:
- I have the entire day free to do work (yay?). I'll need to do a wee bit of dissertation stuff, but I'd really like to spend time working on my chemistry and biology project reports. If I got a chance to type up some essay notes for history that'd be great too (we have an essay to write next week and I'd like to be prepared, unlike in my prelim ).

The Weekend:
- I'm fairly free so I should get lots done. I'm not going to make any specific study plans yet (a lot can change over two days). If I was to make a prediction though, I'll probably be panicking over my dissertation (which I won't have done enough of) and will have realised I have some major piece of homework due that I had forgot existed.

I'll check back in with my progress in a few hours .
Congrats on the offer! :woo:

Hope you manage to have a productive few days while you're off, and also manage to get in some time to relax
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (195)
67.71%
No (93)
32.29%

Watched Threads