Need help understanding BTEC Extended Diploma grading system and ucas points Watch

geeko123456
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi. I am currently studying a BTEc level 3 in civil engineering in college and i'm confused about what my grades are and how many ucas points i have. My teachers kinda confuse me more as different onew will sometimes say different things.
From what i understand for my assignment based units a pass is 6 points, merit is 10 points and a distinction is 16. In the exam based units a pass is 12 points, merit is 20 points and a distinction is 32. On the btec calculatori have been told to use 60glh points for assignments and 120glh for exams.

The thing that confuses me the most is that in most my units in the first year i got merits. In the assignment based units i got 3 merits and 2 passes. In the exams i got 2 merits. If my Calculations are thats 82 ucas points and i could get a DDD which according to google is 142 points if i got merits in all my 8 assignmwnts this year.
It confuses me that even tho i havent got any distinctions my overall grade can be a DDD.
I need help knowingg if i've correctly understood the system.
Sorry this is so long and confusing xD
geeko123456
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Name:  Screenshot_20200129-111714_Excel.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  108.3 KBthese are the two pointa systems. Left one is for exams right one is for assignmentes
LeMetalhead
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's a bit confusing, but you need to find out whether the units in question are internal or external, internal units tend to give less points, one thing worth mentioning is that the points from BTEC are not the same as UCAS points, eg if you get a D in an external unit,say30 marks, you don't get 30 UCAS points for that, it gets converted through a very complicated system, in order to avoid that just follow how many points you are away from DDD. The way I try to understand is that DDD is roughly equivalent to ABB, which means you have the equivalent of UCAS points for that grade (ABB)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (330)
60.22%
Yes- I don't like it (29)
5.29%
No- I want it (150)
27.37%
No- I don't want it (39)
7.12%

Watched Threads