Could the coranavirus actually be a good thing? Watch

RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
"The new coronavirus is thought to have emerged from illegally traded wildlife at a seafood market in Wuhan and can now spread between people."

Somehow "wildlife" doesn't sound like sirloin steak or a leg of lamb or chicken does it?
"thought to" is a little weak. However, China isn't the only country to have issues with the sale of meat, is it? Do you not remember the horse meat issues in the UK?
Em.-.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As morbid as it sounds, I've always said that some kind of plague will be needed at some point to balance the population out. People will die due to rising sea levels etc.

And tempoarily will still be good. If a lot of people do die, china's emissions will fall.

It's harsh, but maybe this will serve as a lesson to China: 1), stop eating obscure types of meat and regulate the meat industry more, 2) sort your population out
Most people in China do not eat that stuff, they shouldn’t have to “learn a lesson”. Also if it keeps spreading it could kill people here as well.. including vegan environmentalists.
Torigracex
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
People are dying from this and you’re saying it’s a ‘good’ thing. Yeah great maybe emissions might be lower, but if we lose China we lose supplies of almost everything we rely on in first world countries. I’m sure you wouldn’t be saying the same thing if it was your country the virus started in, with you and your families catching the virus and dying from it. As the virus is at the moment, it mostly kills those with compromised immune systems so it’s still up in the air how bad of a pandemic it may turn out to be.
Psaa
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I wouldn't completely criticise ferrograd, he is raising interesting points about positive effects it could be allowing. A new dynamic view is refreshing and there is no point in diminishing his freedom of speech just because he's in the minority. I get that some of his points may not be completely correct although I have also read mass amounts of information about Chinese diets being the cause of this...
Em.-.
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by gjd800)
The eating of 'unusual' meats likely has **** all to do with how this has happened.

But you are a crank and so this sort of nonsense is to be expected
It may not have been caused by the actual consumption of a certain animal, but it seems probable it was due to the live market in Wuhan since the Coronavirus started in an animal which transferred it humans. It’s not ideal to keep so many animals together in such conditions which enables viruses to essentially merge (though very uncommon) or be transferred from one animal to another which can then spread to humans. Unfortunately this live market existed because people view certain species as a delicacy, like snakes. I believe there were also koalas and wolf cubs, though snakes or bats (or both) seem most likely to have been the cause.
Parties
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I mean, China is the largest CO2 emitter.........
One of the reasons why China is the largest CO2 emitter is because most send their manufacturing jobs to China, therefore contributing a large amount to that pollution. That, and crappy regulations on the CCP's part.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Em.-.)
It may not have been caused by the actual consumption of a certain animal, but it seems probable it was due to the live market in Wuhan since the Coronavirus started in an animal which transferred it humans. It’s not ideal to keep so many animals together in such conditions which enables viruses to essentially merge (though very uncommon) or be transferred from one animal to another which can then spread to humans. Unfortunately this live market existed because people view certain species as a delicacy, like snakes. I believe there were also koalas and wolf cubs, though snakes or bats (or both) seem most likely to have been the cause.
And?

I didn't say otherwise. What I said was that the eating of the meat very likely has nothing to do with the contraction of the virus.

You are reaching by saying 'except the market wouldn't exist if people didn't eat the animals': the issue is not the existence of such a market (unless you take issue with all animal markets in any place in the world), but the non-enforcement of basic standards within it. It is conceivable that there be separate stores for each species where risk of such mutations are mitigated, then people eating the meat would be a total non-factor. Thus the initial claim that this is because people eat 'obscure' meats fails twice.
Last edited by gjd800; 3 weeks ago
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
"thought to" is a little weak. However, China isn't the only country to have issues with the sale of meat, is it? Do you not remember the horse meat issues in the UK?
The claim is still nonsense. That some Chinese people eat what we would arbitrarily class as 'odd' is not a factor. The pertinent factor is that these things were illegally kept together in unsanitary conditions with little to no oversight.
Em.-.
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by gjd800)
And?

I didn't say otherwise. What I said was that the eating of the meat very likely has nothing to do with the contraction of the virus.

You are reaching by saying 'except the market wouldn't exist if people didn't eat the animals': the issue is not the existence of such a market (unless you take issue with all animal markets in any place in the world), but the non-enforcement of basic standards within it. It is conceivable that there be separate stores for each species where risk of such mutations are mitigated, then people eating the meat would be a total non-factor. Thus the initial claim that this is because people eat 'obscure' meats fails twice.
Sorry for misinterpreting, I assumed when you said the eating of such meat had “**** all” to do with the virus you were including the markets which wouldn’t run if there was no demand.

I take issue with such wet markets anywhere in the world. It’s a health hazard to keep domestic and wild animals from different habitats, dead and alive, together. I believe the Chinese government put a ban on such markets after SARS, but since people still want to consume food which come from them, sellers were willing to continue.

If “obscure” meats were stored and prepared in sanitary manners I’d take no issue (as long as the animals are killed as painlessly as possible).
Johnny Tightlips
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
as long as it doesn't affect me or you my guy then sure
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
some bizarre things here from the OP.

1. The idea that China needs to do something about its population. You know that China has taken the most radical actions of any nation to curb its population growth? And has been too succesfull at doing so, to the point where they now have a population imbalance in the other direction that is needing to be solved.

2. The idea that this is great for the environment. Its a blip. Sure, every single flight that's cancelled is a tiny tiny bit better.. but your talking fractions of fractions of fractions of a single percent. In reality if this crisis lasts 3-6 months, the enviromental bennifit will be insignificant on any statistical model over a decently long time frame. The only way this would be 'good' for the environment is if it were to kill a lot of people. and then for some reason the people chose not to re-populate after..

3. The idea that either this is a weapon by muslim people, or that its an act of god. This ignores the fact that a lot of muslims are getting sick and suffering with this as well. In China there are millions of muslims who live and work as part of their Chinese communities. The Uighur are just one group, and only some of them live in their own territory. The vast majority of Chinese muslims inlcuding the biggest group, the Hui muslims live and are intergrated into Chinese communities.. like the many who live and work in my neighborhood and who I see everyday. If this were an attack on China, then its a pretty awful way to go about it.. and if this was a muslim god punishing China, then I guess hes a god that's ok with punishing good muslims in China who will also suffer/die.

4. That China needs to learn how to eat meat/what not to eat. This is just sometihng that takes time. Its worth remembering that most Chinese families can remember starvation. That's not something we have in the west. But in China you only have to go back a couple of generatons to find periods of real struggle and starvation. Even in my own family, I only have to go back to my parents-in-laws generation to find times when they were starving and didn't have any food.. go back to the grandparents generation and its even worse. People who grew up in situations like those have different attitudes to food as you would understand.. and they then pass those on to their Children. It takes a few generatons of having a plentiful supply of high-quality food for things to change. And it is Changing, the eating habbits of young Chinese people are different to the old, but it just takes time. Things like this help accelerate that - for example the popularity of eating bat declined significantly after SARS, but to say that this means the virus is a good thing.. is too far.
Last edited by fallen_acorns; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (378)
67.14%
No (185)
32.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed