PanickedPangolin
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi I'm currently in y12 and am trying to compile things for my UCAS personal statement for my application to medical schools next year. I am looking to apply to Cambridge and so to put myself in the best position possible I am entering a number of academic competitions such as the Biology Olympiad and the Kelvin Science prize. I was unfortunately ill on the day of the Chemistry Olympiad and so I am looking for other competitions that would be good for my UCAS personal statement. Does anyone have any suggestions???
l.mwx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PanickedPangolin)
Hi I'm currently in y12 and am trying to compile things for my UCAS personal statement for my application to medical schools next year. I am looking to apply to Cambridge and so to put myself in the best position possible I am entering a number of academic competitions such as the Biology Olympiad and the Kelvin Science prize. I was unfortunately ill on the day of the Chemistry Olympiad and so I am looking for other competitions that would be good for my UCAS personal statement. Does anyone have any suggestions???
Hey, I'd say dont stress, you've got a good academic range there from the sound of it!
consider volunteering in a care environment to show commitment and development of empathy. also teamwork so dofe or group projects etc
for cambridge I believe they also ask content related questions at interview?
6 God
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Some Cambridge colleges also run scientific essay competitions I believe.
Lizzibethneri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I say focus more on work experience.
brainiac_uk
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 6 God)
Some Cambridge colleges also run scientific essay competitions I believe.
Check out the DNA day essay competition https://biolympiads.com/dna-day-essay-competition-2020/. It's an international competition. Also check out the Brain Bee: https://thebrainbee.org/
HandsUp
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
All I would say is that unless you get a high award then the difference will be negligable for your application. If you are awarded Gold then thats is amazing and will make a difference I am sure. However also ensure that you read Biology Review and Chemistry Review etc and some of the books that are reconmended on other sites. While Cambridge do not appear to ask for work experience on the PS I did a few places and found it helped talke about why medicine and skills on my statement too. So please do not neglet that (its of course also good for you to see what work as a Doctor is like too).

You will need a good BMAT score to secure an interview so its important to start work on that soon as well.

Good luck
Last edited by HandsUp; 1 year ago
yankang.qi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, there I'm currently an offer holder for medicine at Cambridge. I'd say that you don't really want to be focusing on that sort of stuff so much. All my Olympiads, challenges and extra-curriculars took up a very small paragraph of my personal statement. You want to be focusing on work experience and your understanding of the role of a doctor, this applies for all medical schools really. They don't care so much about that stuff, they like it, but it won't be a deciding factor. They want things more directly linking to being a doctor, how is achieving a gold in an olympiad going to make you a better doctor? It isn't really, but things like work experience and an understanding for the difficulties a doctor will come across are more clearly applicable. Your interview and admissions test will play a much larger role so don't stress too much about personal statement, think of it as a jumping off point for your interview.
Last edited by yankang.qi; 1 year ago
dontbethatway
?
Report 1 year ago
I wouldn't worry too much about entering many more competitions- remember you only have a limited character count in your personal statement, and you may run the risk of simply listing loads of things without fully explaining them- as long as you can describe in enough detail about what you learnt from the competitions you done and how they link to being a doctor/ scientific interest then you should be good.

I am an offer holder for 2020 entry medicine at Cambridge and i didn't enter any competitions, so i wouldn't worry about going all out. I made sure to get enough work experience and volunteering and described my experiences in detail in my personal statement- you just have to show you have a good understanding of the realities of being a doctor and skills required. Although for Cambridge they do like to see a commitment to science- so your competitions should come in handy for this! However the interviews are very scientific and they don't really ask much about your personal statement.

It's important to get your work experience/ volunteering and be able to say what you learnt from them in your statement, I'll assume your grades are high if you are considering Cambridge, and get a good BMAT score to get you an interview. Hope this helps and good luck! If you have any more questions feel free to ask me
PanickedPangolin
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by dontbethatway)
I wouldn't worry too much about entering many more competitions- remember you only have a limited character count in your personal statement, and you may run the risk of simply listing loads of things without fully explaining them- as long as you can describe in enough detail about what you learnt from the competitions you done and how they link to being a doctor/ scientific interest then you should be good.

I am an offer holder for 2020 entry medicine at Cambridge and i didn't enter any competitions, so i wouldn't worry about going all out. I made sure to get enough work experience and volunteering and described my experiences in detail in my personal statement- you just have to show you have a good understanding of the realities of being a doctor and skills required. Although for Cambridge they do like to see a commitment to science- so your competitions should come in handy for this! However the interviews are very scientific and they don't really ask much about your personal statement.

It's important to get your work experience/ volunteering and be able to say what you learnt from them in your statement, I'll assume your grades are high if you are considering Cambridge, and get a good BMAT score to get you an interview. Hope this helps and good luck! If you have any more questions feel free to ask me
Thank you very much (and thanks to everyone else who replied!) If you wouldn't mind, could you share your gcse grades and A Level predicted grades? I am fairly confident my grades are up to scratch but it'd be useful for me to compare!
yankang.qi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you very much (and thanks to everyone else who replied!) If you wouldn't mind, could you share your gcse grades and A Level predicted grades? I am fairly confident my grades are up to scratch but it'd be useful for me to compare!
I got quite bad GCSEs in comparison to the norm 999998666AA^. I got predicted 4A*s but I don't think there is a terribly large difference between all the predicted grades above A*A*A (the entry requirements) as they are just predicted grades. The BMAT is the most important part I think.
dontbethatway
?
Report 1 year ago
For GCSEs I got 99999999888 and my A Level predicted grades are A*A*A*
Lizzibethneri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My GCSEs were 9999999887A* I was predicted A*A*A*A
Maaira
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How did you manage all that work experience and voluntary work during the pandemic. I have to apply in oct 2022 and am struggling to find any such opportunities
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (213)
56.8%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (50)
13.33%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (41)
10.93%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
8.8%
I haven't started researching yet (22)
5.87%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
4.27%

Watched Threads