Melissd678
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I'm doing an essay on how far warfare has changed since ww2 and one of the points I have made is the growing prominence of identity politics due to the insecurity of globalisation. However, I really do not know how to explain the link between globalisation and it prompting ethnic tensions. Can you please suggest some ideas?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Melissd678)
Hi, I'm doing an essay on how far warfare has changed since ww2 and one of the points I have made is the growing prominence of identity politics due to the insecurity of globalisation. However, I really do not know how to explain the link between globalisation and it prompting ethnic tensions. Can you please suggest some ideas?
Is this something your teacher has said or an idea of your own.
Can you give a couple of examples so I understand what you are trying to say?
It feels unfamiliar.

Which identity politics?
Which aspects of globalisation?
Which ethnic tensions?

Also give the essay title so I know the context.

I am having trouble understanding why globalisation promotes ethnic tensions?
Melissd678
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Is this something your teacher has said or an idea of your own.
Can you give a couple of examples so I understand what you are trying to say?
It feels unfamiliar.

Which identity politics?
Which aspects of globalisation?
Which ethnic tensions?

Also give the essay title so I know the context.

I am having trouble understanding why globalisation promotes ethnic tensions?
The title of the essay is “how far has warfare changed since world war2?’ One of my point was that there has been a rise in identity politics then I subdivided this into 2 and described why: breakdown of legitimacy of established order like the fall of communism and post colonial countries and my other explanation was going to be the insecurity of globalisation. So the exertion of western ideals on countries creating a violent response to preserve their culture and then I was going to give the example of Al Quadea. Do you think that’s would work?
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Melissd678)
The title of the essay is “how far has warfare changed since world war2?’ One of my point was that there has been a rise in identity politics then I subdivided this into 2 and described why: breakdown of legitimacy of established order like the fall of communism and post colonial countries and my other explanation was going to be the insecurity of globalisation. So the exertion of western ideals on countries creating a violent response to preserve their culture and then I was going to give the example of Al Quadea. Do you think that’s would work?
I would pick about 6 aspects of WARFARE and that seems more politics, so be sure to put it into context.
Thats 70 years of war and change.
I get wary when we talk about western ideals and pushbacks.
I might be more in agreement if you based it on religion and resentment.
I would say the conflicts are more about power and taking advantage of opportunity.
I dont think your idea is clear enough and am dubious as to whether I would agree.

Things I think you might consider.
You need to think about before and after plus show the events which support and changed this.

Technology.-
End of tank warfare and supremacy of air power.
Smaller professional armies.
Missiles.
Western countries cant take casualties.
Nukes.
Theatre of war- Europe peaceful.- rest of world relatively peaceful to the extent international trade is global.
Wars are small scale and less frequent.
Wars are rarely country v country. They are not western country v western country.
Wars often proxy and guerilla rather than conventional.

I would be looking at things like that because they are all about warfare.

PS I thought it was a history essay?

If its Politics, then you are looking at:

1. Nukes means you cant just go to war Russia v US.
2. There is now one global superpower.
3. Countries especially developed countries are reluctant to go to war.
4. Use of airpower.
5. Use of missiles.
6. Change against boots on the ground and against tank warfare because opponents arent countries in conventional war, but more likely to be insurgents.
7. Religion.
8. Reluctance boots on ground.
9. Conflicts drag on.
10 Countries reluctant to go to war due to expense and loss of soldiers.
11. You can get ideology, religion and politics in. Communism v USA and Extreme Islam v USA, Russia v Ukraine.
Last edited by 999tigger; 1 year ago
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
Ps f its definitely politics then id need a rethink, but it would explain the changing nature of war as an instrument of a country extending its policies.
You can talk west v muslims, but I dont think its the imposition of western values.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.77%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.69%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (68)
20.92%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.46%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise