anisha211
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello everyone! I'm currently writing both of my folio pieces for Nat 5 English. The word limit is 1000 words and I am over it by around 50 - 70 words for both of my pieces. I read that you could go over by 10%...is this true??? How strict are the SQA on word limits?? I have also heard that they don't count the pieces word for word. SO would 50 - 70 words over the limit be too obvious. I'm really struggling to lower the word count help :/
rmason28
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by anisha211)
Hello everyone! I'm currently writing both of my folio pieces for Nat 5 English. The word limit is 1000 words and I am over it by around 50 - 70 words for both of my pieces. I read that you could go over by 10%...is this true??? How strict are the SQA on word limits?? I have also heard that they don't count the pieces word for word. SO would 50 - 70 words over the limit be too obvious. I'm really struggling to lower the word count help :/
Hi! It's been two years since I sat National 5 (oh how time flies - I'm currently doing Advanced Higher, now that's a scary thing to say haha) anyway, when I sat the exam you were allowed 10% over in folios. I believe it should be under the coursework specification on the SQA's website if you want full confirmation. If I remember correctly, my pieces for both National 5 and Higher were over the word count but within the 10% bracket so your 50-70 words over is okay unless your teacher states otherwise (I know some teachers who want all their pupils to be under the original word count and others who are happy for many to be in the 10% over). Hope this helps! I know it's been a few years since I sat the exam but if you need any advice, let me know - I will be happy to help. I got A's for both National 5 and Higher English x
anisha211
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by rmason28)
Hi! It's been two years since I sat National 5 (oh how time flies - I'm currently doing Advanced Higher, now that's a scary thing to say haha) anyway, when I sat the exam you were allowed 10% over in folios. I believe it should be under the coursework specification on the SQA's website if you want full confirmation. If I remember correctly, my pieces for both National 5 and Higher were over the word count but within the 10% bracket so your 50-70 words over is okay unless your teacher states otherwise (I know some teachers who want all their pupils to be under the original word count and others who are happy for many to be in the 10% over). Hope this helps! I know it's been a few years since I sat the exam but if you need any advice, let me know - I will be happy to help. I got A's for both National 5 and Higher English x
Thank you so much! An A is amazing for Nat 5 English wow!! Anyway thank you so much for the help
pszsd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by rmason28)
You got A's for Higher English too?!?!

Are you free any time soon? I'm currently slightly stumped on my folio. #

Apologies, I don't mean to take advantage of you, please don't feel pressured to say yes.

G'day!
rmason28
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by anisha211)
Thank you so much! An A is amazing for Nat 5 English wow!! Anyway thank you so much for the help
no problem at all
rmason28
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by pszsd)
You got A's for Higher English too?!?!

Are you free any time soon? I'm currently slightly stumped on my folio. #

Apologies, I don't mean to take advantage of you, please don't feel pressured to say yes.

G'day!
Hey,

That’s no problem at all! Send me a message, I’ll happily help and get back to you as soon as possible
bella234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My teacher said that we have to make it under 1000, not sure if that's just him. ask your teacher, check the online specification, and if you really aren't sure it'd probably be safer to make it under. Good luck!
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You can go up to 1100.
Also when you submit the folio you submit the word coutn
However, I would recommend you stay under. Our teachers always said that if they were over that the examiners sometimes marked more harshly or it went to somewhere higher up to be marked.
You should be able to quit easily cut 70 words
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (379)
67.2%
No (185)
32.8%

Watched Threads