The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
DannyBoy123
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23517283-details/Mayor+backs+ban+on+alcohol+for+under-21s/article.do

What is everyones views on this?

Personally I think it's absurd, the idea you can go and die for your country at 18 but can't enjoy a glass of wine in the evening is frankly insane.

And as a Conservative you would think Boris would support the idea of individual liberties and self-determination - this feels more like something 'Red Ken' would have introduced. :mad:

You can die for your country at 16 actually, so its even worse.

It's a ridiculous idea IMO and I doubt it will happen because there will be so many people opposing the idea
Reply 21
If it's only going to be London, surely everyone could go just outside London to buy some instead?

Silly, silly idea though. They'll never get it to go through. At least I bloody well hope not.
Reply 22
imomo16
lmao, 'Red Ken'
It won't work even if it does come in to play effectively, it'll just increase underage drinking.
What an 'I told you so' moment :biggrin:

hayleyk- you're in croydon too?! :O high-five!

Wow that and you love father ted! *double high five* (although Croydon warranting a high-5 is dubious :wink:)

Well..at least I can be thankful I'm moving away from London

*Imagines loads of Londoners bringing back booze from their uni cities..*
Reply 23
More like they should drop it to 16 not raise it. That'll keep people off the streets.
Banning alcohol sales to under 18s doesn't stop 15 year olds getting drunk. It won't work...
Reply 25
well im going to university outside london so it wont aplly to me haha boris tosser
Invent
You can die for your country at 16 actually, so its even worse.

It's a ridiculous idea IMO and I doubt it will happen because there will be so many people opposing the idea

I'd imagine that the majority of the voting public would actually be in favour of it.
Reply 27
Remember thbw poll tax riots? They stopped thather! Student riot on London would stop Borris! ha
Argh! Why Did I Vote Boris???!
Reply 29
I wonder what will work to stop the binge culture, if anything.
Reply 30
This is just buying in shops isn't it?

Surely you can just get your parents to buy it for you if you're like 18-20.

18+ can still drink in pubs/clubs though? Or do they want to introduce 21+ to all bars too?
Reply 31
Alasdair
Serves you right for voting Boris ******** Johnson. Won't spoil my enjoyment of London, but might teach all the Young Conservative Tory Boy ***** on TSR a lesson...

Charming!
Reply 32
Boris Johnson is a complete muppet.
This is a problem. I might have to retract my support for him.
Surely Boris must have been indulging in the booze himself when he came up with this initiative?

Interesting that its completely at odds with labour's (arguably non) anti-discrimination laws this week. However - surely you can't make any part of the electorate have different rites on age grounds - wouldn't it violate EU law?
How could good old Boris think up a policy like that, I'm sure he enjoyed his time at the Bullingdon Club immensely...:wink:
Oh, wait a minute. It's not a law change but a "voluntary scheme". I wish the Mayor good luck with that! :p: The small off-licences will definitely not co-operate, as for the supermarkets...
Reply 37
I don't agree with this. What will it solve? People will still have their way of getting their hands on alcohol if they realy want to anyway. I don't like the way the UK is seeming to be getting more and more like America with regards to this. Anyway, it won't affect me in the slightest as Im a few years over 21 now, but my guess is that this won't happen anyway. They'll just keep it as it is.
onthejubileeline
Argh! Why Did I Vote Boris???!

Good question. :p:
Reply 39
BoJo doesn't actually have the power to ban alcohol sales to the under 21s. It's a voluntary scheme that will rely on off licences/shops signing up to it. I'd imagine there will be some (especially those near universities) that won't sign-up, because a lot of their customers are between 18-21 and it's hard enough running an off licence with competition from the supermarkets as it is.

But yes, it is stupid and overly simplistic as a plan. It's not the answer to the problem.

Latest

Trending

Trending