AQA English poetry. Someone comment on my paragraph plz

Watch
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
How is the power of nature shown in Storm on the island and one other poem from power and conflict
In both Storm on the Island and Exposure, the poets use a range of language techniques to show the power of nature. In Storm on the island the writer uses a strong oxymoron "Exploding comfortably". This juxtaposes the feelings of fear and safety. The writer also uses language which is used to describe war "Strafes" "Bombarded", this tells us that the wind is compared to a fighter plane attacking the island. The writer does this to remind the reader of the devastating impact that the wind is having on the island.In Exposure, the poem includes a lot of bleak language to remind the reader of the men's pain. The writer uses sibillance "sudden successive flights of bullets streak the silence". This mimics the sound of bullets flying. The writer describes the snow as black "black with snow", snow is usually white which symbolizes purity but black symbolizes evil and death. The writer uses vivid imagery " Puckering foreheads crisp" which reminds the reader what exposure to the cold can do. The use of language in both poems creates a negative atmosphere.
Saffire4
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I love the paragraph however one piece of advice is don't forget to add some contect about the background or origin of the poem or the inspiration behind it

I hope this could be a helpful to you I also am studying the Power and Conflict poetry in English literature
Rosegal !!!!
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by 014786)
How is the power of nature shown in Storm on the island and one other poem from power and conflict
In both Storm on the Island and Exposure, the poets use a range of language techniques to show the power of nature. In Storm on the island the writer uses a strong oxymoron "Exploding comfortably". This juxtaposes the feelings of fear and safety. The writer also uses language which is used to describe war "Strafes" "Bombarded", this tells us that the wind is compared to a fighter plane attacking the island. The writer does this to remind the reader of the devastating impact that the wind is having on the island.In Exposure, the poem includes a lot of bleak language to remind the reader of the men's pain. The writer uses sibillance "sudden successive flights of bullets streak the silence". This mimics the sound of bullets flying. The writer describes the snow as black "black with snow", snow is usually white which symbolizes purity but black symbolizes evil and death. The writer uses vivid imagery " Puckering foreheads crisp" which reminds the reader what exposure to the cold can do. The use of language in both poems creates a negative atmosphere.
basically its about a grade 4 or 5. I need help in English lit. can you help me????
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (112)
13.81%
I'm not sure (36)
4.44%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (247)
30.46%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.47%
I'm not a current university student (396)
48.83%

Watched Threads