Rachelezy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
How do you structure the biology essay question in Paper 3? My teacher hasn't really told us and I don't really understand how much you are meant to write. She briefly said that, to get the high marks, you need to use information "beyond the specification". Like how would I even begin to do this?
chloebird
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Heya! It’s not THAT important to learn things beyond the apex, that’s worth like 5 marks max and if you haven’t achieved the top band it won’t hwlp you at all. Try to learn one extra little fact that applies to everything (for example, if you learn chemistry you could include a sentence about polarisation more in depth than the biology course goes cause then you can use that if you talk about water, ionic bonds in any compounds/enzymes, ect.)

I suggest you learn the topics on molecular biology (pretty sure that’s the first thing on the course) and cells (3?? I haven’t done it in a year!) really well. You can apply this information to basically everything so long as it’s relevant.

Finally https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...SAY-TITLES.PDF
Check that out! You’ll notice a lot of those essay titles overlap, it’s almost GUARANTEED the essay will be one of these. It was for me in 2019 and my teacher said there was no point planning essays for anything else cause it WILL be one of those. Learn the markschemes for each of those questions as best you need to, just the bits you understand and can write on. Remember the key points to include for each essay question.

Try to include information from year 1 and 2, if you don’t include topics from both years your marks get capped, we were encouraged to include 6 topics (yknow six of the large topics so instead of 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 you’d need information from topic 1, 3 and 6) but I always did 4 or 5 and got top marks cause I was accurate, relevant and used a lot of information from each topic. You’re badically proving that you learned the whole course and understand how the topics link together. I’d recommend doing a small paragraph for each topic you write about, opening and closing with how that information is relevant to the question.

Hope this helps a bit!
Last edited by chloebird; 2 months ago
Rachelezy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by chloebird)
Heya! It’s not THAT important to learn things beyond the apex, that’s worth like 5 marks max and if you haven’t achieved the top band it won’t hwlp you at all. Try to learn one extra little fact that applies to everything (for example, if you learn chemistry you could include a sentence about polarisation more in depth than the biology course goes cause then you can use that if you talk about water, ionic bonds in any compounds/enzymes, ect.)

I suggest you learn the topics on molecular biology (pretty sure that’s the first thing on the course) and cells (3?? I haven’t done it in a year!) really well. You can apply this information to basically everything so long as it’s relevant.

Finally https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...SAY-TITLES.PDF
Check that out! You’ll notice a lot of those essay titles overlap, it’s almost GUARANTEED the essay will be one of these. It was for me in 2019 and my teacher said there was no point planning essays for anything else cause it WILL be one of those. Learn the markschemes for each of those questions as best you need to, just the bits you understand and can write on. Remember the key points to include for each essay question.

Try to include information from year 1 and 2, if you don’t include topics from both years your marks get capped, we were encouraged to include 6 topics (yknow six of the large topics so instead of 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 you’d need information from topic 1, 3 and 6) but I always did 4 or 5 and got top marks cause I was accurate, relevant and used a lot of information from each topic. You’re badically proving that you learned the whole course and understand how the topics link together. I’d recommend doing a small paragraph for each topic you write about, opening and closing with how that information is relevant to the question.

Hope this helps a bit!
Thank you so much! This has really helped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (201)
33.28%
No (403)
66.72%

Watched Threads