Coronavirus spreading anti-China racism

Watch
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Racist jokes about the coronavirus are everywhere. You have probably witnessed one yourself.

In Malaysia, fanatic radical Islamists claim it is "divine retribution" for what Western media claims is a mistreatment of the muslim minority.

In Japan, shop owners are posting "no Chinese" signs.

The growing stigma has even reached European shores. Dutch cartoonists are mocking the Chinese flag. Far-right populists are calling for a ban on flights to China. And graduate student Sam Phan wrote in the British newspaper The Guardian about how a man on the bus in London had scrambled to get up as soon as Phan sat down. “This week, my ethnicity has made me feel like I was part of a threatening and diseased mass. To see me as someone who carries the virus just because of my race is, well, just racist,” he wrote.

In Canada, journalists post selfies with Chinese immigrants and racistly suggest that they may be hosting the coronavirus.

Experts say that these racist social media posts are an extension of colonial-era stereotypes.

Singaporean playwright Zizi Azah said it was illogical to pin the virus on a race. “Illness knows no geographical or racial boundaries and it really is the luck of the draw, isn’t it? Where something starts and where it gets to,” she said.

Mohamed Imran Mohamed Taib, director of the Centre for Interfaith Understanding, cautioned against the effects of dehumanising Chinese people as uncivilised. “It is not due to ‘Chinese-ness’; the fact that these people are Chinese is incidental, not the reason for the emergence and transmission of the virus. The virus could have emerged in any other part of the world, just as Ebola started in Congo and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome in Saudi Arabia,” he said.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/healt...d-anti-chinese
Em.-.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I certainly think people shouldn’t be making jokes or claiming it’s a divine punishment. It’s not funny, people are critically ill and dying and the people experiencing abuse are not to blame and probably scared. However I don’t think wanting a temporary ban on flights to China as some countries have done is “far-right extremist” if it’s preventing the spread of the virus and hence preventing people dying? Although by now the virus is present in multiple countries so I suppose it would have to extend to a near global flight ban to be completely effective which won’t happen because of the economy. China seem to be taking serious measures to contain it (China started with the flight bans and have seemingly successfully quarantined a large number of people) not sure how well the U.K. is doing. 😐
Just my opinion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
" Far-right populists are calling for a ban on flights to China."
Sorry to knock your agenda but I'm just back from the pub (that's a sort of Inn we have over here) and a local Labour councillor was holding forth with the same idea.
BA must be far right populists too.
Ferrograd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've seen several Muslims saying its retribution for the camps in Xinjiang.

A part of me feels its only natural to be slightly nervous, although obviously it is china so a massive country so chances of getting it are pretty low.

Guess its like how the Ebola scare caused a lot of afrophobia
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yeah but have you seen the memes?
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can you give examples of racism?

Check this video out about Australian Sterotypes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHQRZXM-4xI
Is that racist?

People take this piss out of the British all the time and the Americans.
Maybe there is some Chinese racism going on but I do not see it. I just see people taking the piss out of China.
Is taking the piss of China racist?

Maybe I am wrong but that is my view. Personally, I think China are handling it quite well.
As for banning flights that just makes sense. China itself has imposed heavy restrictions on travel in Wuhan and other areas. Hong Kong are restricting travel. So I do not see the issue.
Last edited by adam271; 1 month ago
Johnny Tightlips
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Name:  20200129_173249.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  116.2 KB
Disclaimer: I don't actually believe all Asians look the same. The deaths of people from the disease is tragic. No I don't support arsenal.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
LOl love the faux outrage of Angery Penguin who posts a constant stream of bile against all the countries he hates who are supposed enemies of China including the entire west, Japan, Korea and the other E Asian countries. What a hypocrite angery penguin is.

Tbh I havent seen much anti China sentiment, although the cause of the coronovirus seems to be a Chinese creation.
Seen more articles on them putting up the hospital.
It could be a major health incident.

Wait and see what will happen. I hope it isnt too serious, but the Chinese will need to learn lessons from this.

People should remember most Chinese people are nice and angery penguin is not a typical example.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
People should remember most Chinese people are nice and angery penguin is not a typical example.
:lol:
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by J Papi)
:lol:
All the do is shill for China by spouting bile, hatred and disingenuous information against neighbouring countries, Hong Kong and the west, often with racial undertones.
Cant take them seriously, so find this thread very funny to the level of hypocrisy that angery penguins feelings have been hurt.
You would think they would be more concerned about the welfare of Chinese people rather than slating other countries and conflating minor obscure articles tweets as justification for its hatred of entire countries.

Anyone who wonders about the truth of this just needs to look at angery penguins thread history. Subjects speak for themselves.
More often they are not the text is changed and titles misleading or disinformation.

Look for yourself.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sea...&starteronly=1

Best wishes and hope it resolves itself soon for all those affected by the virus or at risk.
Meanwhile angery penguin would rather blame other countries.
Last edited by 999tigger; 1 month ago
skyechor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
actually hong kong is not closing all the borders and in fact, the major links and borders are not closed. Many citizens have voiced our their concerns but none of which were heard by the government.
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
they need to stop eating everything that moves, seriously.... they even freaking slaughter wolf cubs in their stupid markets, makes me so mad.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
'its impossible to pin the virus on a certain race'

except.. 99+% of the people with the virus are currently of one race.

---

Don't get me wrong, there is a racial eliment to it. If me and my wife both come back to the UK, we both pose the same risk to people, yet no one would be scared of me walking around. But that's not because they are racist, that's because of the numbers currently, and the method of transmission. At present all cases internationally stem from Chinese nationals travelling abroad. There is nothing racist about then worrying about being around Chinese people. (It is illogical, but not racist).
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
Racist jokes about the coronavirus are everywhere. You have probably witnessed one yourself.

In Malaysia, fanatic radical Islamists claim it is "divine retribution" for what Western media claims is a mistreatment of the muslim minority.

The growing stigma has even reached European shores. Dutch cartoonists are mocking the Chinese flag. Far-right populists are calling for a ban on flights to China. And graduate student Sam Phan wrote in the British newspaper The Guardian about how a man on the bus in London had scrambled to get up as soon as Phan sat down. “This week, my ethnicity has made me feel like I was part of a threatening and diseased mass. To see me as someone who carries the virus just because of my race is, well, just racist,” he wrote.

In Canada, journalists post selfies with Chinese immigrants and racistly suggest that they may be hosting the coronavirus.

Experts say that these racist social media posts are an extension of colonial-era stereotypes.

Singaporean playwright Zizi Azah said it was illogical to pin the virus on a race. “Illness knows no geographical or racial boundaries and it really is the luck of the draw, isn’t it? Where something starts and where it gets to,” she said.

Mohamed Imran Mohamed Taib, director of the Centre for Interfaith Understanding, cautioned against the effects of dehumanising Chinese people as uncivilised. “It is not due to ‘Chinese-ness’; the fact that these people are Chinese is incidental, not the reason for the emergence and transmission of the virus. The virus could have emerged in any other part of the world, just as Ebola started in Congo and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome in Saudi Arabia,” he said.

Chinese isn't a race ..

My thoughts are with anyone infected. It's a horrible virus, regardless of your nationality.
999QR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by J Papi)
yeah but have you seen the memes?
ikr
999QR
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
they need to stop eating everything that moves, seriously.... they even freaking slaughter wolf cubs in their stupid markets, makes me so mad.
:laugh:
skyechor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Name:  6B00D09A-2CF4-4859-B698-D60BD4779E3E.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  121.0 KB
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Leaving the EU is fine, why wouldn't damning Chinese citizens be fine. The UK is officially it's own island again lol. 😂 Leave is a racist movement that garners massive national support.
Ragman75
Badges: 15
Report 1 month ago
hariisawesome
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)

Most people want to ban flights to China. It’s not racist, it’s a fact that coronavirus comes from China. We understand it’s not a joke, and that’s the reason we don’t want the slightest chance of getting infected!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
60.95%
No (66)
39.05%

Watched Threads