What do you think of this SUV as first car? Watch

Paracosm
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not gonna lie, you sound extremely jealous lol. It's totally irrelevant what you think, don't be spiteful.
MrTravel
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by FionaFiat)
Ok guys, I have a bit of a confession to make. I feel quite bad saying this... my first car wasn’t a very good one and I guess I was a little jealous my friend is getting a big 16 plate car, I do think the car is ugly but I think I was just looking for others to say it was ugly to make me feel better. I know I sound like a bad friend.
I've just read your latest post and it's perfectly understandable to feel like that. We all feel like that one time or another. Don't worry, it doesn't make you a bad friend as it's a normal human reaction and by you sharing your feelings online you are showing that you've got humility and you're a good friend. Don't feel bad about it. Also, I recommend you change your way of thinking from 'his 1st car is much better than minr was' to 'at least I had a working first car'. I think it'll make you an even better person😊.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
IMO an "SUV" is a full size 4x4 (Range Rover/Discovery, Land Cruiser, Explorer, etc.) traditionally were body-on-frame rather than monocoque and had proper four wheel drive systems. What's being talked about in this thread are purely crossovers, or CUVs. They're one of the fastest growing segments in the car industry at the moment so a lot of people are liking them.

Personally they're not my cup of tea - but I've always been into weirder cars. First car was a 1990 Defender 110, second was a 1968 Morris Minor.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't take offence to this but who cares what you think, it isn't your car so I would politely advise you to mind your own business.
FionaFiat
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Don't take offence to this but who cares what you think, it isn't your car so I would politely advise you to mind your own business.
I wasn’t offended, you’re right, In your opinion do you think it’s ugly?
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I wasn’t offended, you’re right, In your opinion do you think it’s ugly?
I have no opinion on it, it's a car.
I have no idea why you care so much about what your friend is driving :laugh:
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A friend is getting their first car and it’s a crossover SUV, it’s pretty chunky and nearly new (16 plate) low miles. It’s a nice colour but I kinda think it’s embarrassing having a Car which looks like a family car as your first car and I feel like I should tell them.

What’s your opinions on crossover SUVs as first cars? Do you think they’re embarrassing?

I tried finding a picture of what it looks like on google, I think this is what it looks like. I think it’s ugly.

Attachment 877066
TBH if it suits their needs then who cares, these cars are not a fashion statement their utilitarian.

If you & your friends ever do a weekend away or a road trip then youll be pretty happy they have a nice roomy car with plenty of luggage space rather then trying to cram 4 people in your other mates 8 year old VW Scirocco
FionaFiat
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
TBH if it suits their needs then who cares, these cars are not a fashion statement their utilitarian.

If you & your friends ever do a weekend away or a road trip then youll be pretty happy they have a nice roomy car with plenty of luggage space rather then trying to cram 4 people in your other mates 8 year old VW Scirocco
I suppose haha, I like VWs. Do you think the SUV is ugly
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I suppose haha, I like VWs. Do you think the SUV is ugly
I dont think its a piece of art, but i wouldn't say its ugly.

It doesnt have the beautiful styling & lines of an Aston or the figure of a Porsche, but its not supposed to be, its designed for function which seems a better reason for buying your first car to me then something that is marginally more aesthetic but probably just a hatchback anyway...
FionaFiat
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)

It doesnt have the beautiful styling & lines of an Aston or the figure of a Porsche, but its not supposed to be, its designed for function which seems a better reason for buying your first car to me then something that is marginally more aesthetic but probably just a hatchback anyway...
Range rovers are made for the same reason as this car and they managed to make them beautiful, I suppose this suv looks average and hopefully my friend likes it, thanks for your reply
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Range rovers are made for the same reason as this car and they managed to make them beautiful, I suppose this suv looks average and hopefully my friend likes it, thanks for your reply
Range Rovers are a semi-luxery brand, it costs more to package & manufacture the components, they are also much larger they are more of a 4x4 cross-terrain vehicles then SUVs. That big leather interior also costs money. Your not comparing apples with apples.
FionaFiat
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)

(Original post by mnot)
Range Rovers are a semi-luxery brand, it costs more to package & manufacture the components, they are also much larger they are more of a 4x4 cross-terrain vehicles then SUVs. That big leather interior also costs money. Your not comparing apples with apples.
your right, I just need to not be jealous that my friends getting a new car
FionaFiat
Rep:
?
I’ve decided I won’t tell my friend my thoughts on their car, it’s up to them and I don’t want to sound jealous.
FionaFiat
Rep:
?
I renamed the thread and changed the description a little bit to not make me look so jealous, I kind of feel silly now and bad at the same time.
AH-64 APACHE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
SUVs are crappy through and through, as first cars or 5th cars. Poor performance, high running costs, large exterior but small interior, worst crash safety than a supermini with a 3 inch crumple zone, and in many cases, less reliablility. There is a reason they arn't cheap to insure.
Talon
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The first car I bought with my own money was a LR Freelander. Great car, had it for 9 years. I now have a LR Freelander 2 - it is a tank (but much more economical than a tank) and safe (5* Euro NCAP rating). Nothing wrong with SUVs.
Wilaldridge
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
That's a fking nice seat cover set right there, headrests and all.
😂😂😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (496)
59.76%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.18%
No- I want it (235)
28.31%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.75%

Watched Threads