The Student Room Group

a level history-worth it?

whats a-level history actually like? i was considering do it with gov/pol and geography but might do maths instead of history.
I love it!! It’s the only A level I haven’t considered dropping yet haha. I suppose it depends on your course. At my college, we do the making of a superpower for the breadth study, which in a nutshell focuses on American politics, the economy and society from 1865-1975, then for the depth study we do the wars of the roses. The lessons are really interesting, but I should warn you that there are A LOT of long names to remember, key dates (obvs haha), many statistics e.g. 750,000 members joined the Knights of Labor and I’d probably recommend revising from October because I’m in year 12 and I’m struggling even when I’ve been revising for months. Anyway, it’s a really engaging subject which I would definitely take if it’s something you haven’t learnt about before (I did the wars of the roses briefly last year, so I guess that knowledge helps sometimes too). In terms of exams, each paper gives you 2 25 mark q and 1 30 mark q as far as I’m aware. The 25 markers are “how far do you agree/how significant...” and it will give you a specific time period, whereas the 30 markers are where you must compare 3 sources and write down their provenance, content, context, validity, what’s missing/what’s exaggerated, etc. There are only 2 sources at AS level, but my course is linear so. Anyway I’m rambling aha, good luck and I’d definitely recommend it since each lesson is different and sometimes the topics interlink, so you can refresh your memory on things you haven’t done for a few weeks or months :smile:
Oh and coursework, we don’t start it until year 13, but it’s a 4,000 word essay on the Tudors and it counts for 20% of the A level
Also it will work GREAT with politics because so many people take both in my school and they’re brilliant at the elections and political side of history and can cross over their knowledge :smile:
It depends on what unit you study, so find out. In my history a level, we do britain from 1918 to 97 and usa for basically the same period. and witchcraft in year 13. if you don't like "modern" history, don't do it if its got this unit. (britain 1918-97). Very political and economical,
I like it, but you have to make sure that the topics covered are interesting to you - we studied Modern Britain 1945-1997 and I really had to struggle through that as I wasn't in the least interested. If you keep on top of things from the start and preferably read your textbook when you're given it to start with, it is very managable. Between maths and history, just do the subject that you enjoy the most at the moment. I love this year so I'd definitely say that it's worth it (studying Germany 1789-1914) but nothing's going to be fun, especially something where you have to memorise so much, if you don't like it to start with!
Original post by adchaya_m
whats a-level history actually like? i was considering do it with gov/pol and geography but might do maths instead of history.

I think it depends. If your school does crap topics then you won't enjoy it. We do Tudors and the American Dream. I have always liked history the most and I do like these topics. The only thing I hated was the coursework but if you crack on with it then it goes pretty quick. Our coursework was on Russia and I found it so dry but it's over now thank god. The most important thing in my opinion is to pick something you enjoy because if not you will hate yourself for it. if you prefer history over maths, go with history and vice versa
Reply 7
Original post by anonymoustony
I think it depends. If your school does crap topics then you won't enjoy it. We do Tudors and the American Dream. I have always liked history the most and I do like these topics. The only thing I hated was the coursework but if you crack on with it then it goes pretty quick. Our coursework was on Russia and I found it so dry but it's over now thank god. The most important thing in my opinion is to pick something you enjoy because if not you will hate yourself for it. if you prefer history over maths, go with history and vice versa

Thank you so much for the advice! I think i'm gonna see what topics we do at my school and go from there.Thanks again :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ForeverAnonymous
I love it!! It’s the only A level I haven’t considered dropping yet haha. I suppose it depends on your course. At my college, we do the making of a superpower for the breadth study, which in a nutshell focuses on American politics, the economy and society from 1865-1975, then for the depth study we do the wars of the roses. The lessons are really interesting, but I should warn you that there are A LOT of long names to remember, key dates (obvs haha), many statistics e.g. 750,000 members joined the Knights of Labor and I’d probably recommend revising from October because I’m in year 12 and I’m struggling even when I’ve been revising for months. Anyway, it’s a really engaging subject which I would definitely take if it’s something you haven’t learnt about before (I did the wars of the roses briefly last year, so I guess that knowledge helps sometimes too). In terms of exams, each paper gives you 2 25 mark q and 1 30 mark q as far as I’m aware. The 25 markers are “how far do you agree/how significant...” and it will give you a specific time period, whereas the 30 markers are where you must compare 3 sources and write down their provenance, content, context, validity, what’s missing/what’s exaggerated, etc. There are only 2 sources at AS level, but my course is linear so. Anyway I’m rambling aha, good luck and I’d definitely recommend it since each lesson is different and sometimes the topics interlink, so you can refresh your memory on things you haven’t done for a few weeks or months :smile:

Thank you so much for ur advice- Ik my school does the tudors so i might look into it ask around to see if the topics would interest me. About the essay however,what exactly would the essay question be for the tudors?
Original post by adchaya_m
Thank you so much for ur advice- Ik my school does the tudors so i might look into it ask around to see if the topics would interest me. About the essay however,what exactly would the essay question be for the tudors?

That’s great :smile: I’m not too sure sorry because we haven’t started the coursework yet, but I know that it has to be within an 100 year period. Some examples on the AQA website include assessing how Puritanism changed during the Seventeenth Century; or assessing the extent to which the condition of the Russian peasant improved over the period 1850–1950, but I saw a student on here who had the question "The Pilgrimage of Grace was the most threatening rebellion or plot to Tudor government in the years 1525 to 1605. Assess the validity of this view” last year, so maybe it’s along the lines of that?? :P
Reply 10
Original post by ForeverAnonymous
That’s great :smile: I’m not too sure sorry because we haven’t started the coursework yet, but I know that it has to be within an 100 year period. Some examples on the AQA website include assessing how Puritanism changed during the Seventeenth Century; or assessing the extent to which the condition of the Russian peasant improved over the period 1850–1950, but I saw a student on here who had the question "The Pilgrimage of Grace was the most threatening rebellion or plot to Tudor government in the years 1525 to 1605. Assess the validity of this view” last year, so maybe it’s along the lines of that?? :P

oh ok- i think i'll ask my history teacher what the current a level students r doing :smile: thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest