How common are forensic science job opportunities?

Watch
Niakins
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello!

I am currently a 3rd year undergraduate psychology student. I have no idea what I want to do in the future, but the crime and forensic sciences course at UCL really interests me. However, I am worried that if I decide to become a forensic scientist, there will not be enough job opportunities? Or if there are any, they might be too competitive and I will struggle to get a job I like?

I am more interested in the crime scene investigation aspect of this specifically and little bit in the DNA analysis/biological part of this instead of the chemistry aspect like toxicology or things like anthropology/geoscience.

Also this is a different question but would a forensic psychology MSc even be worth it? I have seen people in this forum say that it would be better to get a science degree instead since that will give you an advantage when applying for a forensic job, however the reason why I want to do a forensic science MSc is because:

1) I am doing a psychology undergraduate degree so I probably will not be accepted into most biology courses since I don't have a bachelor in science.

2) Like I said I am mostly interested in investigating a crime scene and collecting evidence or forensic biology specifically, and if I study a general science or biology master's degree then I will have to learn about other sciencey things that I do not care about.

I have considered becoming a forensic psychologist instead but there is the same problem with there being limited job opportunities, and forensic psychology focuses more on prisons and preventing people from re-offending. I am however more interested in investigating who the criminal was and the evidence, as well as trying to figure out why they committed the crime.
sherlocked12
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The UCL Crime and Forensic science MSc is very theoretical based, so labs will be a bare minimum. Have you looked at the Forensic Science MSc at Kings? They focus on laboratory based study, crime scene collection etc. Maybe that would be more up your street?
Emma603xxxx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Teesside uni is very practical and hands on
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (62)
63.27%
No (18)
18.37%
Not sure (18)
18.37%

Watched Threads