The Student Room Group

Which song/music has had a profound effect on your life?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Keane’s music has impacted on my life in a lot of ways. It’s hard to choose just a few of their best songs but I would recommend Bedshaped, Atlantic, Strangeland, Nothing in My Way, Something In Me Was Dying (b side) and Somewhere Only We Know (a classic). Electric Guest, Kaiser Chiefs, The Strokes, Declan McKenna, Bowie, of Montreal, Muse, The Killers, The Cribs and Arctic Monkeys are all artists that I love as well. And recently I’ve been listening to The Cure, Pulp and Spoon a lot :tongue:
Reply 41
Original post by Ksingh13
Anything in particular that gives you the feels or goosebumps, maybe motivates you?
I'd say for me personally orchestrated music from films I find really deep. Examples of composers are John William's and Hans Zimmer.

i also absolutely adore john williams and hans zimmer! have you listened to jóhann jóhannsson? he did the soundtrack of the theory of everything!
Reply 42
Hanz Zimmer Interstellar
Reply 43
Original post by mikela
i also absolutely adore john williams and hans zimmer! have you listened to jóhann jóhannsson? he did the soundtrack of the theory of everything!

Yay! Yes I will, anything in particular? Inbox me if you want :smile:
Original post by Picnic1
The music of Thomas Newman from American Beauty.
Holst's Planets Suites.
Brian Wilson's Smile
The Beatles, particularly Abbey Road and Magical Mystery Tour. More recently, parts of The White Album, especially Mother Nature's Son.
The Doors.
REM- particularly the supposedly less profound stuff like Monster.
Spin Doctors- honestly, listen to Pocketful of Kryptonite. They can really play and can really write heartfelt 60s/70s style jams too.
Radiohead's Kid A.
Love and Affection - Joan Armatrading
Sexual Healing - Marvin Gaye
With Every Heartbeat - Robyn
Kate Nash's Made of Bricks
Kate Bush
Tori Amos's Little Earthquakes album

omg we have such a similar taste in music!

i was literally going to mention the Planets suite along with Abbey Road and Magical Mystery Tour - i relatively recently discovered Mother Nature's Song and was shocked by how such a pretty song is so unknown. Also loved Kate Nash's Foundations and Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights. Would have mentioned Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album and Echoes Live at Pompeii '72, along with The Kinks Celleloid Heroes though.

i urge you to give Dream Theater a go - their songs are split into heavy and soft... soft ones include Another Day, Hollow Years, The Spirit Carries On, The Silent Man and Solitary Shell, and their best heavy one is probably Metropolis Part I.... also A Change of Seasons being a 23 minute epic
Reply 45
Original post by A Rolling Stone

i was literally going to mention the Planets suite along with Abbey Road and Magical Mystery Tour - i relatively recently discovered Mother Nature's Song and was shocked by how such a pretty song is so unknown. Also loved Kate Nash's Foundations and Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights. Would have mentioned Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album and Echoes Live at Pompeii '72, along with The Kinks Celleloid Heroes though.

i urge you to give Dream Theater a go - their songs are split into heavy and soft... soft ones include Another Day, Hollow Years, The Spirit Carries On, The Silent Man and Solitary Shell, and their best heavy one is probably Metropolis Part I.... also A Change of Seasons being a 23 minute epic

Music brings people together!
Original post by Ksingh13
Music brings people together!

even Tomorrow Belongs To Me?
Reply 47
even Tomorrow Belongs To Me?

Haven't heard it lol, but assuming it does not.
Reply 48
Original post by MJ1148
Keane’s music has impacted on my life in a lot of ways. It’s hard to choose just a few of their best songs but I would recommend Bedshaped, Atlantic, Strangeland, Nothing in My Way, Something In Me Was Dying (b side) and Somewhere Only We Know (a classic). Electric Guest, Kaiser Chiefs, The Strokes, Declan McKenna, Bowie, of Montreal, Muse, The Killers, The Cribs and Arctic Monkeys are all artists that I love as well. And recently I’ve been listening to The Cure, Pulp and Spoon a lot :tongue:

i love your music taste !!
Reply 49
Original post by mikela
i love your music taste !!

Thanks! :tongue:

I'll check out Dream Theater this week. Yes, Dark Side of the Moon is great and it is genuinely moving. The Division Bell tapped in to some of the same feelings, although with more limited results in terms of song numbers.

The Verve's Urban Hymns and when I listened to David Bowis' entire back catalogue was very eye opening to me because it became clear to me that the likes of Earthling, Hours, Heathen and The Last Day, whilst they had some disappointing sections in them, still had some of the DNA of the great 1. Outside within them. We'll Creep Together by Bowie, from the unreleased The Leon Tapes that became 1. Outside, is stunning.

I'd say Radiohead but that opens up a can of worms as I think they became derivative and they appeal to hipsters now. Besides, Pulp, Simply Red's Holding Back The Years, many one or two hit wonders, are moving too. Paul Simon's Graceland. Simon and Garfunkel. The Stone Roses's Second Coming. Some early Bjork.
Original post by Picnic1
I'll check out Dream Theater this week. Yes, Dark Side of the Moon is great and it is genuinely moving. The Division Bell tapped in to some of the same feelings, although with more limited results in terms of song numbers.

The Verve's Urban Hymns and when I listened to David Bowis' entire back catalogue was very eye opening to me because it became clear to me that the likes of Earthling, Hours, Heathen and The Last Day, whilst they had some disappointing sections in them, still had some of the DNA of the great 1. Outside within them. We'll Creep Together by Bowie, from the unreleased The Leon Tapes that became 1. Outside, is stunning.

I'd say Radiohead but that opens up a can of worms as I think they became derivative and they appeal to hipsters now. Besides, Pulp, Simply Red's Holding Back The Years, many one or two hit wonders, are moving too. Paul Simon's Graceland. Simon and Garfunkel. The Stone Roses's Second Coming. Some early Bjork.

PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest