First Brexit. Now CAA/ CAB. Watch

cookiemunch
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Just a quick rant after reading some threads on here about immigration.

I am British born and bred.

My father is an Indian.

I am a Muslim.

I am a 22 y/o.

A law-abiding citizen

Working 2 jobs (earning 20k, better than half the people my age)

Never rely on benefits - - went to a private school too

Yet I face abuse from white people at least once a month.

A few incidents I can recall in the past year are: Being called a letterbox in a mall. Having a biscuit thrown at me when crossing the road. Being told to "go back" when visiting family in hospital. Being called a "Paki" on a bus. Most lately some guys in a car imitated "shooting" with their windows down. The list goes on.

I love my life and the amazing people I am surrounded by, I work with people from various backgrounds and I have to usually travel a lot, in fact I feel safest in London. I go about my life as any other young person, I rent my own apartment and enjoy time out with friends and family. But inside I often feel, and I can't help but feel I have to live a life which was not chosen by me and I get hate for it??

I know the CAA and Brexit are not directly aimed at me, but the motives are essentially the same, the nationals of these countries who don't know the ins and outs are only supporting these movements as they have a problem with me, or the likes of me.
Last edited by cookiemunch; 3 weeks ago
Guyverjay
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Rubbish, I voted Brexit and don't give a toss what color skin you have or what religion you follow. Your generalisations don't help at all.
Raspbearry
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sorry to hear that's what you're going through.
While not everyone voted Brexit because of xenophobia, I do feel like that was a motive for many. Glad you found somewhere you feel safe. Brighton is pretty diverse and accepting too
I don't understand how people are still so discriminatory in 2020. Let's hope they grow up soon ay.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What is CAA and CAB? I assume it isn't the Civil Aviation Authority and Citizens Advice Bureau.
Just my opinion
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sorry for what youve had to put up with, its wrong and unfair.
But if I ask you a question will you answer it honestly?
If over a 30 yr period in any Muslim country....let's say Pakistan, gangs of ethnic minority white Christian men had been systematically raping and prostituting Muslim children on an industrial scale, we're talking over a quarter of a million children, what do you suppose the attitude would be to white Christians amongst Muslim majority?
cookiemunch
Rep:
?
(Original post by Guyverjay)
Rubbish, I voted Brexit and don't give a toss what color skin you have or what religion you follow. Your generalisations don't help at all.
Brexiteers and their usual sense of ignorance.

Did you even bother reading the entire post? probably not, as I clearly mentioned "Not directly aimed at me" I am also aware many people who voted for Brexit aren't xenophobic but most xenophobic people are in favour of Brexit- my point being that it has become a common ground for racists and anti-immigration.
cookiemunch
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
What is CAA and CAB? I assume it isn't the Civil Aviation Authority and Citizens Advice Bureau.
Not sure if you're just being sarcastic or not read the current world affairs.

Anyhow, I did mention I am Indian and recently they have introduced CAA = Citizenship Amendment Act 2019
cookiemunch
Rep:
?
(Original post by Just my opinion)
Sorry for what youve had to put up with, its wrong and unfair.
But if I ask you a question will you answer it honestly?
If over a 30 yr period in any Muslim country....let's say Pakistan, gangs of ethnic minority white Christian men had been systematically raping and prostituting Muslim children on an industrial scale, we're talking over a quarter of a million children, what do you suppose the attitude would be to white Christians amongst Muslim majority?
I understand your frustration, but I don't believe that I should be the one apologising for it.
This isn't me justifying, but to begin with sickos like this exist - people from all religious backgrounds and atheists are also guilty. I don't see people calling names to people from other religions, for example, priests(not that for a second i believe they should.)

"Let's say Pakistan" - actually let's say a Sharia abiding country besides Pakistan, these people wouldn't see the light of day, so actually this has nothing to do with Muslims, I'm not even Pakistani??

Lastly, i am personally aware of several incidents where white people have abused (physically, verbally and sexually) people from ethnic minorities however within the community it's too much of a taboo subject so it's not been discussed, nor do these people have any hope that they will ever get justice.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by cookiemunch)
Not sure if you're just being sarcastic or not read the current world affairs.

Anyhow, I did mention I am Indian and recently they have introduced CAA = Citizenship Amendment Act 2019
I am vaguely aware of the Act, I wasn't aware of its name.

You do realise that Brexit has no effect on migration from India.
cookiemunch
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
I am vaguely aware of the Act, I wasn't aware of its name.

You do realise that Brexit has no effect on migration from India.
Yes I am aware of that - I clarified in my last sentences. Many Brexiteers don't even understand they're just racist. For example, EDL they protest against Muslims who aren't even from European countries.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Guyverjay)
I think this post sums up the arogance and ignorance of the some white English. You have no empathy or the slightest clue what it is like to receive abuse from strangers on the street simply because of the colour of your skin.

And like it or not. Many Brexiteers voted on nationalist anti-immigrant anti-non-white basis.
cookiemunch
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
I think this post sums up the arogance and ignorance of the some white English. You have no empathy or the slightest clue what it is like to receive abuse from strangers on the street simply because of the colour of your skin.

And like it or not. Many Brexiteers voted on nationalist anti-immigrant anti-non-white basis.
My point exactly. Couldn't have put it better myself.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)

Firstly, how do you know this person is white English? I think it would be lovely if we could just stop seeing colour at every turn and just treat people as people, imagine that?

I too voted brexit and immigration was not even anywhere in my thoughts as I did it. Brexit has litterally nothing too do with India or black people, in fact European countries are mainly white!! The EU is a club which self protects it's own members, therefore a arguement could be made that the EU is institutionally racist, for favouring white European people over people like the OP.

I agree with the OP that there are many questionable groups that support brexit, however there are also questionable groups that support remain also. You would litterally have to be an idoit to vote for brexit to reduce countries where people hold a darker complexion. We already have full control over this!

cookiemunch As unfair and awful as it is you have suffered such vile racism,it is not fair to blame Brexit. However there is a case to be made that brexit has given creedence to racists to speak out more openly about their vile views. This isnt because of brexit, this is because of fake cries of racism from people who dislike the views of others and cannot create a argument against it, so they try to close it down. This over playing of the word racist, has normalised it and trivilised it. You unfortunately are the victim in this, because idoits have gained confidence to be idoits.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (347)
66.73%
No (173)
33.27%

Watched Threads