Report Thread starter 1 month ago
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^above
-_Harry_-
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unless you’re at university level chemistry : No

This is because group 1 forms ionic bonds and the ions of group 1 are colourless.
Claisen
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Look at the chemistry of why we observe colours from compounds/complexes etc (d-d transitions will be enough to look at). I know you probably want a simple yes/no answer, but you'll always remember the answer if you learn why.
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Quite simply, no they do not

When transition metal complexes absorb electromagnetic radiation of a certain energy, it causes an electron in a d-orbital to transition to a higher-in-energy d-orbital, and thus be in an excited state (these are called d-d transitions)
This electron can de-excite to its ground state, and emit electromagnetic radiation in the process; most of the time, this radiation comes under the visible region, hence these complexes appear coloured

Of course, in order for this to happen, d-orbitals must be vacant/present for electrons to transition to; the problem is that empty d-orbitals are too high in energy relative to a Group 1 metal's s-orbitals, and so these transitions simply do not occur
Transition metal complexes on the other hand don't have this problem as they're, well... transition metal species, and they're kind of fundamentally defined in terms of them having incomplete d-orbitals, hence these transitions can occur

Alas, even some transition metal complexes give rise to pretty weak-intensity colours, and this is further down to rules associated with d-d transitions... So even then, not everything gives rise to colour!
Last edited by Kian Stevens; 1 month ago
LN05
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Ah yes That’s true they do not!

(I’m doing GCSE content at the moment)
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LN05)
Ah yes That’s true they do not!

(I’m doing GCSE content at the moment)
Oh, in that case, you don't need to understand any of my reply then...!
LN05
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kian Stevens)
Oh, in that case, you don't need to understand any of my reply then...!
I only understood the part about d-d orbital

Sorry for taking your time!
Last edited by LN05; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (44)
47.31%
No, they should still go ahead (21)
22.58%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (28)
30.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed