Raton92
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi.

I'm at my third year of uni, and I've been working for the same company since the start. But now I'm thinking to leave my company and start working as self employed.

Obviously, I won't be earning as much as I used to during the first months, so I'm wondering if this change would affect negatively my current grant?

I hope my question makes sense.

Thanks.
Amy SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Raton92)
Hi.

I'm at my third year of uni, and I've been working for the same company since the start. But now I'm thinking to leave my company and start working as self employed.

Obviously, I won't be earning as much as I used to during the first months, so I'm wondering if this change would affect negatively my current grant?

I hope my question makes sense.

Thanks.
Hi there,

If you are changing employment we would need a copy of the P45 from the previous employer or a letter from previous employer confirming your employment end date.

If your changing your employment status to self employed you would have to send evidence of being registered as self employed with HMRC (UTR letter) as well as your most recent invoices and corresponding bank statements. As well as any evidence of business expenditure (if available).

Thanks, Amy
Raton92
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amy SFE)
Hi there,

If you are changing employment we would need a copy of the P45 from the previous employer or a letter from previous employer confirming your employment end date.

If your changing your employment status to self employed you would have to send evidence of being registered as self employed with HMRC (UTR letter) as well as your most recent invoices and corresponding bank statements. As well as any evidence of business expenditure (if available).

Thanks, Amy
Hi Amy,

Thanks for the quick response.

However, I have some doubts. My planned business would be online, my dad has an travel agency in Spain and I'll be working freelance trying to get customers. So, I'm about confused about the invoices that I'd need as evidences of being self employed.

I guess invoices and payments into my account, from my dad's business account, for every customer i get him, would be a proper evidence?

Thanks!
Amy SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi Amy,

Thanks for the quick response.

However, I have some doubts. My planned business would be online, my dad has an travel agency in Spain and I'll be working freelance trying to get customers. So, I'm about confused about the invoices that I'd need as evidences of being self employed.

I guess invoices and payments into my account, from my dad's business account, for every customer i get him, would be a proper evidence?

Thanks!
Will you be registered with HMRC as self employed?

Thanks, Amy
Raton92
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amy SFE)
Will you be registered with HMRC as self employed?

Thanks, Amy
Yes, of course.

thanks, Cristian.
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yes, of course.

thanks, Cristian.
Hi Cristian. It needs to be a business registered in the UK with HMRC and then you will receive a unique tax reference number. If it's a business in Spain then you won't be able to apply as a Migrant Worker for this. Once you sell something to your customer, you will have a receipt/invoice of this.
You can find out more information here http://ow.ly/2x0230oL92f.
Thanks, Isaac.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.93%
I'm not sure (16)
3.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.48%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.58%
I'm not a current university student (205)
46.38%

Watched Threads