The Student Room Group

Thread page spring clean

Heyyya,

So I have been having a little play around with the thread page design :biggrin: By keeping the same functionality but tweaking the designs...

Thank you everyone for doing the survey... From the feedback I have created an updated design here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=87049306&postcount=39 please let me know your thoughts <3

Any questions either post in this thread or PM me :P

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
I think the compulsory comments may put some people off finishing this. I started it but can’t finish it at the moment - should be able to do it later.

One thing I will say is that the rep comparison is a bit confusing because it’s not clear how 13 gems in the new design relates to 3 gems in the old design.
Original post by Sir Cumference
I think the compulsory comments may put some people off finishing this. I started it but can’t finish it at the moment - should be able to do it later.

One thing I will say is that the rep comparison is a bit confusing because it’s not clear how 13 gems in the new design relates to 3 gems in the old design.

Thank yooou haha yup that is jsut my silly designing mistake where i just put in a random number ooops <3
Hey CKL :smile:

All done!! Thanks for thinking of me :h:
Hate to be brutally honest but just looks way awfuler than the current design. Showthread1 > Showthread2 but both ST1 and ST2 >>>>>> this new Showthread3 design :sadnod:
DONE
Original post by Glaz
Hate to be brutally honest but just looks way awfuler than the current design. Showthread1 > Showthread2 but both ST1 and ST2 >>>>>> this new Showthread3 design :sadnod:

agreed the only thing i like is the quote box
If you could modernise the quote box while keeping the hyperlink and the name of the poster it would be fine, but that is not what the picture shows.

I would like to keep the rep bar, the numbers next to the gem just looks a bit boring. As your rep grows so does the bar.
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
If you could modernise the quote box while keeping the hyperlink and the name of the poster it would be fine, but that is not what the picture shows.

I would like to keep the rep bar, the numbers next to the gem just looks a bit boring. As your rep grows so does the bar.

agreed
Survey completed. :blow: As much as I dislike any version of TSR with round avatars, the majority of these design changes don't look any worse to me than the current showthread2, and some actually seem like big improvements (less wasted space etc).

I think the 'show more' function on quoted posts could be clearer on the new design. I'd also argue for keeping the full list of parent forums, but that could be bias as a forum helper. Most of the rest looks fine. :smile:

Original post by Sir Cumference

That's a good point. I assumed it was just a space-saving way of showing a person had 13 gems... but nobody has 13 gems, so it does (perhaps unintentionally) hint at a larger overhaul of the rep system.
Original post by DiddyDecAlt

Agreed also.

May just be me but I prefer the ‘X months ago’ rather than the more modernised week count too.
Original post by Marcus...
Agreed also.

May just be me but I prefer the ‘X months ago’ rather than the more modernised week count too.

I completely agree, weeks is a terrible measurement of time when it is more than a month ago.
Original post by Glaz

Since this doesn't change any functionality or how the whole thing operates, this isn't a showthread 3; just a redesign of some aspects.

Generally I'd prefer to see the very outdated PM pages redesigned to match the current style, as well as updating forumdisplay.php which has been neglected for the last couple of improvements to thread pages. I understand that thread page design is important for attracting new members to join the site, but I'd argue that design consistency and easy navigation is what would help more of them stay.
Original post by 04MR17
Since this doesn't change any functionality or how the whole thing operates, this isn't a showthread 3; just a redesign of some aspects.

Generally I'd prefer to see the very outdated PM pages redesigned to match the current style, as well as updating forumdisplay.php which has been neglected for the last couple of improvements to thread pages. I understand that thread page design is important for attracting new members to join the site, but I'd argue that design consistency and easy navigation is what would help more of them stay.

I would love to work on the forum and PM pages <3
Original post by CrazyKittenLady
I would love to work on the forum and PM pages <3

Tell them MR says it's affecting his user experience. :sadnod:
With regards to PMs, they're the only good thing about the app - if anything could be done about the web version to make them more like the app version that'd be great :yy:
Original post by 04MR17
Tell them MR says it's affecting his user experience. :sadnod:

As a user I concur.
Reply 18
Done :smile:
Original post by Glaz
With regards to PMs, they're the only good thing about the app - if anything could be done about the web version to make them more like the app version that'd be great :yy:

yeah, it's like a messaging thing

Done the survey!

Quick Reply