Old_Tom_Foley
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Basically, my flatmate graduated three years ago, but forgot to apply for council tax exemption on his last flat, so now they are still chasing him.

The university say they can only issue exemption certificates for one year after graduation, so how else does he prove he was a student?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your flatmate can get a three line signed letter from the uni he graduated from confirming that he was a full time student during the years of his undergrad and exempt from payment council tax.
Then produce it at the magistrates court if the council sue him and demand his costs.

Councils have notoriously poor admin, a very aggressive strategy to detract from it and a huge paper backlog that often drags on for years.
They pursue full time students over erroneous council tax claims so often, then lose at court and have to pay the student's costs.
Your flatmate doesn't have to prove that he was a full time student and not liable to pay council tax.
The council has to prove that he was liable for council tax.
Misleading the court when they are aware that he was a full-time student is against the law and would be taken very seriously.
Evelyn34
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well why don't you speak to student loans company? I mean they would have statements from each year you applied for student loan? Or ask them to reset your password (if you don't already have one) on the student loans website and on your account on the student loans account would be how much money you were given each year for tuition fees, maintenance loans/grants for each year you were at uni. Well that's what it says on my account anyway so maybe you could use that as prove because try e student loans wouldn't give you any money each term if you weren't there anyway. Ask the council if they would use that as proof.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.8%
Excited but a bit nervous (122)
45.86%
Not bothered either way (34)
12.78%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.55%

Watched Threads